Shipping off the Coast
Original Oil Painting on Canvas
by John Townsend FRSA (1930-2013)
- Provenance - direct from the artist's studio and never before offered for sale on the open market.
- With original hand signed photo certificate of authenticity signed by the artist's widow Tina Townsend.
- Painting - 18cm (7") x 24cm (9 1/2")
- Frame - 24cm (9 1/2") x 30.5cm (12")
A very fine original oil painting by important Nottinghamshire artist John Townsend.
Priory Fine Art is delighted to have been given the opportunity to offer for sale the paintings from the studio of the late John Townsend. John was a hugely important artist who made a significant contribution to 20th century British art and is perhaps best known for his portrait of Queen Elizabeth II which hangs in Nottingham Council House.
These paintings have never before been offered for sale on the open market and span the artist's entire career from the 1940's to shortly before John's sad death last year. Every painting is accompanied by a hand signed photo certificate of authenticity signed by the artist's widow Tina Townsend. A small selection will be offered on eBay each week and this is a hugely exciting opportunity for art collectors to purchase these important originals many of which have never been seen in public.
The canvas laid onto board and with some creases and minor associated losses. Well framed and ready to hang.
John Townsend was born in Nottingham in 1930. He studied at Nottingham School of Art for more than a decade after leaving school at the age of 14, at Nottingham School of Art he studied under important British painter Arthur Spooner. Among the renowned artists who were to influence Townsend in his early career were, Sir William Russell Flint, Vernon Ward, Sir Gerald Kelly and Sir James Gunn. John painted primarily in oils and is highly regarded as a portrait and landscape painter. He received many commissions in this country and internationally and in 1970 was commissioned to paint a portrait of HM the Queen, the painting now hangs in the Nottingham Council Chambers. John Townsend died on 30th October 2013 after a battle with cancer. See the photograph section for two printed obituaries and more biographical information.
Hang your investments on the wall
Art has long been regarded as a strong and safe investment. Ellen Kelleher a personal finance reporter for The Financial Times recently wrote an article recommending art, particularly in the $500 - $50,000 range as a sound long term investment with an impressive current average annual increase of 9.7 percent. See Hang your investments on the wall by Ellen Kelleher Published October 22 2010 by the Financial Times.
Priory Fine Art specialises in high quality 17th - 20th Century British and European Fine Art. Our team have a combined experience of over 80 years in the field of fine art and have together handled the sale of many millions of pounds worth of art. As well as our own team of specialists we have close contacts from the leading auction houses who often assist us with particular pieces.
Postage and Packing
All of our paintings are professionally packaged in rigid hardboard boxes to ensure they reach you in pristine condition. Orders to the UK mainland are sent using a fully insured overnight courier service, orders to the rest of the World are sent on prompt and insured signed for services and are usually delivered within three working days.
Certificate of Authenticity
Every item we sell is fully guaranteed to be as described and a signed photo certificate is issued with every painting. We use the same cataloguing terms as most major auction houses, the terms that appear in the listing are also used on the certificates of authenticity. The cataloguing terms that we use have the following meanings;
- where the bold coloured text which forms the listing's heading reads 'by' and is followed by the artist's full name (or the artist's initials, if his full name is unrecorded), the work is in our opinion by the artist;
- where the expression "attributed to" is used, the work is in our opinion possibly a work by the artist, in whole or in part;
- where the expression 'circle of' is used, the work is in our opinion a work of the period of the artist and showing his influence;
- where the expression 'follower of' is used, the work is in our opinion a work executed in the artist's style but not necessarily by a pupil;
- where the expression 'manner of' is used, the work is in our opinion a work executed in the artist's style but of a later date;
- where the term "after" is used, the work is in our opinion a copy or pastiche (of any date) of a work by the artist. Where the term 'signed...' is used in our opinion the work has been signed by the artist, where the term 'with signature...' or 'bears signature...' is used in our opinion the signature is by a hand other than that of the artist.