This is a collection of 15 digitally scanned books on a data disc. (Full list further down).
A great resource for your personal interest or historical research
Your disc is sent in a slim plastic CD case, inside a padded bag for safe delivery.
The files on this CD are in PDF format. They are digital scans of vintage magazines.
You will need a PDF reader like Adobe Reader. You can get this for free from adobe.com (safe site)
Normally shipped within 1 working day (Bank Hols. and weekends - next working day)
Payment by Paypal please. Please contact me if you wish to pay by cheque or postal order.
1) The Book of Sun-dials; originally compiled by the late Mrs. Alfred Gatty - now enl. and re-edited by H. K. F. Eden and Eleanor Lloyd (1900)
Author: Gatty, Alfred, Mrs., 1809-1873; Eden, Horatia K. F. Gatty; Lloyd, Eleanor; Evans, Lewis
Publisher: London, G. Bell
2) Helio-tropes, or, New Posies for Sundials (1904)
Author: Parmenter, John, d. ca. 1629
Publisher: London: Methuen
3) The Timepiece of Shadows - a history of the sun dial (1895)
Author: Spackman, Henry Spencer
Publisher: New York: W.T. Comstock
4) Sun dials and roses of yesterday, garden delights which are here displayed in every truth and are moreover regarded as emblems (1902)
Rather whimsical, but of interest
Author: Earle, Alice Morse, 1851-1911
Publisher: New York; London: Macmillan & co., ltd.
5) Ye Sundial Booke (1914)
The line drawings of this book were made by the English artist Dorothy Hartley, (1893-1985), now well known as the writer of books about English country life, and the famous “Food in England”
Author: Henslow, T. Geoffrey W. (Thomas Geoffrey Wall), 1878-
Publisher: London: J.J. Keliher
6) Primitive sun dials or scratch dials, containing a list of those in Somerset (1917)
Author: Horne, Percy Ethelbert
Publisher: Taunton. Barnicott & Pearce
7) A printers' sun dial, being a short description of the dial recently placed in the garden of the Country Life Press (1913)
Interesting ltitle booklet
Author: Gilliss, Walter, 1855-1925; Nash, John Henry, 1871-1947
Subject: Country Life Press; Printers' marks; Sundials
Publisher: Garden City, New York, Doubleday, Page & Co.
8) A book of sundial mottoes (1903)
Author: Hyatt, Alfred H., (Alfred Henry)
Publisher: London: Philip Wellby
9) A New Method of Constructing Sun-Dials, for Any Given Latitude, without the Assistance of Dialing Scales or Logarithmic Calculations. By James Ferguson, F. R. S. (January 1, 1767)
Just a couple of pages plus diagram
Author: Ferguson, J.
Subject: Proceedings of the Royal Society of London; Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society
Publisher: Royal Society of London
10) Gnomonique, ou traité théorique et pratique de la construction des cadrans solaires, suivi de tables auxiliaires relatives aux cadrans et aux calendriers (1922)
In French, but has very interesting diagrams and pictures
Author: Bigourdan, G. (Guillaume), 1851-1932
Publisher: Paris Gauthier-Villars
11) Horologium Achaz, Christophorus Schissler, artifex (1895)
Author: Sachse, Julius Friedrich, 1842-1919
Subject: Sundials; Astrological geomancy
Publisher: Philadelphia: MacCalla & Co
12) Nova praxis construendi circinum proportionalem horographicum - eoque ritè confecto omnis generis horologia in planis regularibus et declinantibus expeditissimè et exactissimè delineandi, in proximi commodum typis proposita & figuris instructa (1695)
A very early book in Latin, it has interesting illustrations
Author: Saher, Susanna Christina, d. 1702
Publisher: Viennae Austriae : Apud Susannam Christinam, Matthaei Cosmerovij, Sac. Caes. Majest. typographi aulici viduam
13) Lectures on select subjects in mechanics, hydrostatics, pneumatics, optics, and astronomy (1839)
Armillary spheres pages 278 – 337
Dialling pages 338 – 396
Author: Ferguson, James, 1710-1776; Partington, Charles Frederick, d. 1857?
Subject: Eclipses; Globes; Mechanics; Optics -- Early works to 1800; Sundials
Publisher: London Printed for T. Tegg
14) Practical talks by an astronomer (1902)
How to Make a Sundial Pages 69 - 80
Navigation at Sea; The Pleiades; The pole-star; Nebulae; temporary stars; Galilea; the planet of 1898; How to make a sun-dial; Photography in astronomy; Time standards of the world; Motions of the earth's pole; Saturn's rings; The Heliometer; Occultations; Mounting great telescopes; The astronomer's pole; The Moon Hoax; The Sun's destination
Author: Jacoby, Harold
Subject: Galilei, Galileo, 1564-1642; Astronomical photography; Astronomy; Heliometer; Navigation; Nebulae; Occultations; Planets; Pleiades; Pole star; Pole, astronomy; Stars; Sundials; Telescopes; Time (Methods of reckoning); Saturn (Planet); Earth; Moon; Sun
Publisher: New York, Scribner
15) On a new self-registering sun-dial (1857)
Author: Campbell, J. F. (John Francis), 1822-1885; Meteorological Society (Great Britain)