Best-selling in DVDs & Blu-rays
Save on DVDs & Blu-rays
- £5.90Trending at £9.73
- £16.85Trending at £19.49
- £8.85Trending at £13.98
- £6.44Trending at £9.98
- £5.94Trending at £10.00
- £4.95Trending at £5.36
- £19.22Trending at £20.70
About this product
- DescriptionFrom French director Francois Ozon, 8 WOMEN is a character drama and musical set in a country home during Christmastime in the 1950s. Though the atmosphere seems light and festive, when the host, Marcel, is stabbed in the back, one of the eight women in the house must be the culprit. The youngest of the bunch, Catherine (Ludivine Sagnier), is a teenager who loved her Daddy and also loves police novels. Her sister, Suzon (Virginie Ledoyen), is a student in England who has traveled home for the holiday. Their mom is Gaby (Catherine Deneuve), the ungrieving wife of Marcel, who never reveals too much. Grandma, who goes by Mamie (Danielle Darrieux), is an alcoholic who reveals that she's not as innocent as she looks when she walks right out of her wheelchair. Marcel's sister, Pierrette (Fanny Ardant) arrives mysteriously just after the murder. The maids, Louise (Emmanuelle Beart) and Chanel (Firmine Richard), are obviously up to no good as their stories keep changing. And the neurotic and hilarious Augustine (Isabelle Huppert), Gaby's sister, is the aging virgin who is just plain unstable. As each of these women interrogate each other, each singing her own song as a type of encrypted confession, there are some very funny moments. 8 WOMEN unfolds like a demented CLUE, with absurd tidbits of information--Chanel is actually an exotic dancer; Gaby and Louise are lesbian lovers--coming straight from Ozon's quirky sense of humor. A magnificent set, a snowy backdrop, and candy colored costumes complete this wacky tongue-in-cheek affair.
- Leading Role 1Catherine Deneuve
- Director 1Francois Ozon
- Leading Role 2Emmanuelle Beart
- Leading Role 3Isabelle Huppert
- Additional Roles byDanielle Darrieux,Fanny Ardant,Firmine Richard,Ludivine Sagnier,Virginie Ledoyen
- ProducerOlivier Delbosc,Marc Missonnier
- ScreenwriterFrancois Ozon,Marina De Van
- Score ComposerKrishna Levy
- Release FormatDVD
- Release Year2003
- Additional GenreGeneral
- Running Time103 minutes
Most relevant reviews
- peterh724022 Jan, 2009by
Some of France's most illustrious actresses team up for this off-beat, amusing whodunnit directed by Francois Ozon. It's Christmas and someone has murdered the master of the house. Suspicion falls on everyone at the snowbound gathering. Cast includes Catherine Deneuve, Isabelle Huppert, Emmanuelle Beart, Dannielle Darrieux and Ludivine Sagnier.
- 736278724@delet...05 May, 2008by
Everybody is suspected
I ve wathched that film many times and evry time Im watching Im excited about how its gonna end, even though I know! Great mystery, great comedy and great songs. A must see!
- eagle672603 Oct, 2007by
FRENCH FARCE AT ITS BEST BY BS.
I WOULD CLASS THIS FILM AS ONE OF THE BEST OF IT'S TYPE THAT I HAVE SEEN FOR MANY YEARS. A GREAT, WELL CHOSEN CAST OF FINE FRENCH ACTRESSES GIVE SUPERB PERFORMANCES IN A DELIGHTFUL "WHODUNNIT" WELL RECOMMENDED VIEWING FOR A VERY PLEASANT 90 MINUTES OR SO, IT IS A FILM THAT I WILL NEVER GET TIRED OF SEEING AGAIN AND AGAIN, BEAUTIFULLY PHOTOGRAPHED, GREAT MUSIC,STUNNING WOMEN, MY ADVICE? BUY IT, WATCH IT, ENJOY IT, THEN WATCH IT AGAIN/