All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book serves up part history, part current research and part theory as it examines seas on other worlds. Each chapter features new, original art depicting alien seas, as well as the latest ground-based and spacecraft images.
- Author BiographyMichael Carroll is a space artist and science writer. He has done commissioned work for NASA and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. His art has appeared in several hundred magazines throughout the world, including National Geographic, Time, Asimov's Science Fiction, Smithsonian, Astronomy, and others. One of his paintings was flown aboard Russia's MIR space station in 1995. Recent murals include the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, Fleet Science Center in San Diego, and Lockheed/Martin. Carroll is a Fellow of the International Association for the Astronomical Arts and has written articles and books on topics ranging from space to dinosaurs to Biblical archaeology. His articles have appeared in Popular Science, Astronomy, Astronomy Now (UK), Sky & Telescope, and a host of children's magazines. In 2007, he was awarded the Lucien Rudaux Award for lifetime contribution to the astronomical arts. Carroll has authored two books already for Springer, entitled The Seventh Landing (2009) and Drifting on Alien Winds (2011). Dr. Rosaly Lopes is a Senior Research Scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, where she is also a Lead Scientist for Geophysics and Planetary Geosciences. An expert on volcanism on Earth and the planets, Dr. Lopes currently studies ice volcanism on Saturn's moon Titan. She worked for several years on the Galileo mission studying the active volcanoes of Jupiter's moon Io, where she discovered 71 previously unknown active volcanoes and was named in the Guinness Book of World Records as having discovered more active volcanoes than anyone else. She has published four books, 'Volcanic Worlds: Exploring the Solar System Volcanoes' (Springer 2004), 'The Volcano Adventure Guide' (CUP 2005), 'Io After Galileo' (Springer 2007), 'Alien Volcanoes' (John Hopkins University Press, 2008), 'Volcanoes' (OneWorld Publications, 2011). She has received many awards, including the Carl Sagan Medal from the American Astronomical Society, in recognition for her work communicating science to the public, the NASA Exceptional Service Medal, and the Wings Women of Discovery Award in Air and Space. She is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the Royal Geographical Society, and a member of numerous professional organizations.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication19/07/2013
- GenreAstronomy, Space & Time
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note45 black & white illustrations, 60 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight590 g
- Width210 mm
- Height279 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byMichael W. Carroll,Rosaly M. C. Lopes
Best selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £8.55Trending at £9.60
- £6.19Trending at £6.32
- £4.80Trending at £5.14
- £32.40Trending at £33.78
- £11.14Trending at £12.83
- £9.99Trending at £10.63
- £12.39Trending at £13.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.