All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)James W. Gould
- Date of Publication01/01/1961
- GenreManagement & Business: General
- Place of PublicationDordrecht
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Content Note1 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight354 g
- Width170 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Table Of ContentsI / The Growing Interdependence of Sumatra and the United States 1873 to the Present.- Political Interests at the start of the Atjeh War.- West Coast Exports to the U.S.- Cassia.- Rattan.- Nutmeg and Mace.- Damar.- Benzoin.- Other West-Coast Products.- Eastern Sumatra Imports to the United States.- Native Agricultural Products Imported From Sumatra's East Coast.- Gambir.- Sago.- Patchouli.- Dragon's Blood.- Other Native Products of the East Coast.- Modern Plantation Crops of the East Coast of Sumatra.- Palm Oil.- Hard Fibers.- Tea.- Naval Stores.- The Interdependence of the United States and Sumatra.- II / Black Gold - The History of American Enterprise in Indonesian Oil Development.- Americans Establish the Kerosene Trade.- Americans Develop the First Sumatran Oil.- Standard Tries to get Sumatran Production.- Dissolution of Standard and Founding of N.K.P.M.- The American Government steps into the Djambi Oil Dispute.- Prewar Development by American Oil Firms.- World War II.- The Americans Return after the War.- The Development of Central Sumatra.- Benefits to Indonesia.- Activities of Other American Firms.- Prospects for the Future.- III / Wealth from Trees - The History of American Enterprise in Indonesian Rubber.- Early Imports of Rubber from Sumatra.- Earliest American ventures in Rubber.- U.S. Rubber creates the World's Largest Plantation.- U.S. Rubber Pioneers in Scientific Production of Rubber.- Rubber during World War I.- Four Other American companies join U.S. Rubber in Sumatra.- The Flag Follows Trade: A Consulate opened at Medan.- Rubber Restriction.- The Great Depression.- World War II.- Postwar Re-Establishment.- Since the Korean War.- Prospects for the Future.- IV / American Contributions to Education, Religious and Secular.- The Martyrdom of Munson and Lyman, 1834.- Reopening of American Mission Work in Sumatra.- The Seventh-Day Adventists Start the First Permanent Work.- Methodist Educational Work before World War II.- Non-Religious Educational Work by Americans.- Pre-War Work of Other Religious Groups.- World-War II and its aftermath.- Since Independence, 1949.- Recent Non-Religious Education.- V / Scholar - Adventurers.- Thomas Horsfield.- American Navy Exploration Expeditions.- First American Exploration of the Interior.- The Great Animal Collectors.- Astronomers in the Antipodes.- Americans in Batakland.- Interwar Researches.- Postwar American Scholar-Visitors.- American Writings on Sumatra.
Best selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £8.53Trending at £9.57
- £6.19Trending at £6.30
- £4.88Trending at £5.13
- £32.40Trending at £33.67
- £11.14Trending at £12.78
- £12.39Trending at £13.04
- £11.33Trending at £12.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.