All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn exploration of a fresh perspective in the study of well-being, which tries to overcome the quantification bias by creating an account of 'the good life' in a specific place. Rather than numbers, it focuses on local narratives, emphasising the urgent need to include a wider range of methodological approaches when engaging with well-being.
- Author BiographyTrained as a geographer and anthropologist in Italy and the UK, Melania Calestani has carried out research in the Bolivian highlands, Western Samoa, Guam, Europe,and the UK. Her main interests include issues related to well-being, faith, morality, and value. Her work has mainly focussed on individual and collective definitions of 'the good life', exploring potential contradictions between different models and analysing how individual dimensions compete with collective ones in this context. In Bolivia Melania looked at different actions adopted for the achievement of well-being, taking into account gender and generational differences. In particular, these include social protests, moments of fiesta, household cooperation, and the resort to supernatural forces through private rituals such as cambio de suerte -change of luck, showing how material and spiritual well-being are both mediated through objects and faith. Melania Calestani is currently a Research Fellow at the University of Southampton.
- Author(s)Melania Calestani
- Date of Publication06/11/2012
- GenreSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleSpringerBriefs in Well-Being and Quality of Life Research
- Place of PublicationDordrecht
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Content Note4 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight164 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine5 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £7.99Trending at £9.60
- £7.85Trending at £8.47
- £4.88Trending at £5.06
- £4.98Trending at £5.69
- £14.67Trending at £15.47
- £3.91Trending at £4.20
- £16.13Trending at £20.42
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.