All listings for this product
Best selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £9.49Trending at £9.70
- £6.19Trending at £6.42
- £4.67Trending at £5.15
- £32.40Trending at £34.34
- £10.88Trending at £12.93
- £11.85Trending at £12.42
- £12.39Trending at £13.21
About this product
- DescriptionA televised baseball game from Puerto Rico, Japan, or even Cuba might look a lot like the North American game. This book looks at how the game was imported - how it took hold and developed, how it is organized, played, and followed - and what these local and regional trends and features say about the sport's place in particular cultures.
- Author BiographyGeorge Gmelch is Roger Thayer Stone Professor of Anthropology at Union College in Schenectady, New York. He is the author of nine books, including Inside Pitch: Life inside Professional Baseball and In the Ballpark: The Working Lives of Baseball People, both available in Bison Books editions. For three seasons in the 1960s, Gmelch played in the minor leagues; he has also played professionally outside the United States for several seasons. Contributors include Carlos Azzoni, Tales Azzoni, Peter Carino, Thomas Carter, Josh Chetwynd, Joseph Clark, Dan Gordon, Colin Howell, William W. Kelly, Alan Klein, Andrew Morris, Franklin Otto, Wayne Patterson, Joseph A. Reaves, Harvey Shapiro, Thomas E. Van Hyning, and Tim Wendell.
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/11/2006
- GenreBall Games: Field & Outdoor
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content NoteIllus.
- Weight477 g
- Width154 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byGeorge Gmelch
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.