All listings for this product
Best-selling in Mathematics & Sciences
Save on Mathematics & Sciences
- £11.70Trending at £13.98
- £7.29Trending at £11.06
- £16.71Trending at £19.98
- £43.58Trending at £48.57
- £12.95Trending at £17.02
- £8.24Trending at £11.46
- £10.01Trending at £15.86
About this product
- DescriptionIn its fully revised 2nd edition, this book provides the background needed for a fundamental understanding of biophysics, spanning the whole range of life from a biophysical view, from the molecular, cellular and organismic level to environmental factors.
- Author BiographyBorn in Jena, Germany in 1935. Studied biology at the Friedrich Schiller University, Jena, Ph.D. in 1961, qualified as a lecturer in 1965. From 1958 to 1961, scientist at the Atomic Energy Agency in Berlin (research: aquatic radioecology), and from 1962 to 1965 scientist at the Institute of Cardiology, Academy of Science in Berlin (with a focus on ion transport). From 1965 to 1970 assistant professor in Jena, from 1970 to 2000 full professor of biophysics at the Humboldt University, Berlin (research: biophysics of cell surfaces, shape and ionic states of erythrocytes, electro-manipulation of cells). In 1977 vice-president and from 1981 to 1985 president of the Society of Physical and Mathematical Biology of the GDR, from 1990 to 1992 dean of the Faculty of Science at the Humboldt University. Roland Glaser was a member of the UNESCO European expert committee on biophysics (1976 - 1988), since 1978 a member of various commissions of the council of IUPAB, council member of EBEA (1993 - 1996) and of the national commission on radiation protection at the German Federal Ministry of Environmental Protection (1992 - 1998 and 2008 - 2010). He has also worked as an emeritus adviser for various organizations in the field of electromagnetic safety. This book is the result of over thirty-five years of teaching. Following the first German edition in 1971, the textbook was continuously revised and updated in line with his experience from teaching as well as innumerable discussions with students and colleagues. The fourth German edition was published in 1996, and a fifth revised version was then published as the first English edition in 2001. With this revised second English edition, the author reflects the enormous strides made in biophysics, especially in the fields of molecular and theoretical biophysics. While the book remains a basic textbook and provides the introductory background needed for fundamental training in biophysics, it also offers new insights into recent advances in biophysical knowledge.
- Author(s)Roland Glaser
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. KG
- Date of Publication19/04/2012
- GenreScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationBerlin
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag Berlin and Heidelberg GmbH & Co. K
- Content Note60 black & white illustrations, 146 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight801 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.