All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOffers essays that demonstrate how the relationship between colonial power and nature reveals the nature of power. In this book, each essay explores how colonial governments translated ideas about the management of exotic nature and foreign people into practice, and how they literally got their hands dirty in the business of empire.
- Author BiographyChristina Folke Ax is currently working at the University of Iceland. She has published articles in the Scandinavian Journal of History and in Nordic Perspectives on Encountering Foreignness. Niels Brimnesis an associate professor of history at Aarhus University in Denmark. He is the author of Constructing the Colonial Encounter: Right and Left Hand Castes in Early Colonial South India.Niklas Thode Jensen is a Marie Curie Postdoctoral Fellow at the Department of History and Civilization at the European University Institute in Florence, Italy. His forthcoming book is titled For the Health of the Enslaved: Slaves, Medicine and Power in the Danish West Indies, 1803-1848. Karen Oslund is an assistant professor of world history at Towson University in Maryland. Her publications include Iceland Imagined: Nature, Culture, and Storytelling in the North Atlantic and a coedited volume with David L. Hoyt, The Study of Language and the Politics of Community in Global Context,1740-1940.
- PublisherOhio University Center for International Studies
- Date of Publication15/10/2011
- GenreHistory: World & General
- Series TitleOhio RIS Global Series
- Place of PublicationAthens
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintOhio University Center for International Studies
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps, figures
- Weight375 g
- Width3564 mm
- Height5499 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byChristina Folke Ax,Karen Oslund,Niels Brimnes,Niklas Thode Jensen
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £6.40Trending at £7.36
- £10.87Trending at £13.85
- £7.79Trending at £8.37
- £6.04Trending at £6.49
- £23.94Trending at £24.69
- £10.31Trending at £11.84
- £4.53Trending at £6.44
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.