All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe book is a unique and personal testimony about Jewish life in Germany during the years of persecution that relentlessly led to the conflagration of the Holocaust.
- Author BiographyMiriam Gillis-Carlebach was born in Hamburg, Germany, in 1922. At age sixteen she was expelled from Nazi Germany after a nerve-racking Gestapo interrogation, and arrived in British-controlled Palestine in 1938. She worked as a teacher and lecturer for many years, received her PhD in special education, and founded a Center for Hebrew-language dyslexia and reading disorders in Bar Ilan University, Ramat Gan, Israel, in 1986. Today she is Professor of Jewish History as well as the Director of the Joseph Carlebach Institute at Bar-Ilan, which she founded in 1992. Her main research interests include German Jewry (especially concerning Jewish life in Hamburg and the writings of her father, Joseph Carlebach), children during the Holocaust and Hebrew Letters. She has published many books and articles in German, English, and Hebrew, including Jewish Everyday Life as Human Resistance 1939-1941, The Three Great Prophets (Hebrew) by Rabbi Dr. Joseph Carlebach, and has been the recipient of honorary degrees, such as, Senator h.c. of Hamburg University, as well as several awards, including the esteemed German Federal Cross of Merit. Miriam Gillis-Carlebach lives in Petach Tikva, Israel, and has four children, 14 grandchildren, and a growing number of great-grandchildren.
- Author(s)Miriam Gillis-Carlebach
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication10/05/2014
- GenreHistory: World & General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2014
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight530 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Translated byDorothea Shefer-Vanson
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in History & Military
Save on History & Military
- £24.05Trending at £35.17
- £6.86Trending at £9.31
- £14.59Trending at £16.57
- £8.77Trending at £11.57
- £11.33Trending at £15.07
- £9.50Trending at £17.20
- £7.29Trending at £8.06
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.