All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the mid twelfth century onwards, the nature of the developments which took place in English book hands was determined by two factors: the increasing demand for books, and the increase in the size of the works to be copied. This book illustrates the developments which took place in the cursive handwriting used in England for writing books.
- Author BiographyM.B. Parkes (1930 - 2103) was Professor Emeritus of Palaeography in the University of Oxford, and Fellow emeritus of Keble College. He was a Senior Fellow of the British Academy, a Corresponding Fellow of the Medieval Academy of America, and had been Visiting Professor at the University of Konstanz (1974 and 1980), James T. Hill Visiting Professor at the University of Minnesota (1991), and Visiting Professor of Latin at Harvard University (1997). He is the author of Their Hands Before Our Eyes: A Closer Look at Scribes and his other publications include Pause and Effect: An Introduction to the History of Punctuation in the West; both books are also available from Ashgate.
- Author(s)M. B. Parkes
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication22/11/1979
- GenreHandicrafts, Arts & Crafts
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIncludes 50 b&w illustrations
- Weight550 g
- Width219 mm
- Height276 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best selling in History & Military
Save on History & Military
- £16.76Trending at £26.06
- £14.58Trending at £21.08
- £14.24Trending at £15.21
- £10.50Trending at £14.50
- £9.85Trending at £10.45
- £10.82Trending at £15.40
- £16.99Trending at £17.69
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.