All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA faculty-specific series for students in higher education.
- Author BiographyAfter qualifying as an aeronautical engineer, Marian Dunn gravitated into teaching technical English in the 60s. From there she spent 30 years teaching ESP in the business world in many countries developing a very focused view of objectives, before joining the Sultan Qaboos University in Oman. There, she has empathized with the false beginners at tertiary level, battling to highlight their distinct problems. Latterly, she has specialized in on-line courses. About to retire from the classroom, she may well continue developing on-line skills. David Howey is completing his PhD in mechanical engineering, studying convective heat transfer in motors and generators. His background is in renewable energy and he is passionate about energy and engineering. He has written multiple peer-reviewed papers and co-authored the script for the IET Faraday lecture in 2006, a science outreach and education project reaching over 20,000 young people. Amanda Ilic has co-authored English for Mechanical Engineering, one of the course books in the English for Specific Academic Purposes series. She has also contributed as writer and editor to other projects. Amanda has taught EFL and English for Academic Purposes for over twenty years in the UK and abroad, including Turkey, South Korea, the UAE, and Romania. She has an MA in ELT and Applied Linguistics from the University of East Anglia, and an MA in Literature from Essex University, as well as postgraduate teaching qualifications in English and EFL. Amanda has taught in several UK universities, most recently at Loughborough University where she was instrumental in developing the academic content of their pre-sessional courses for BALEAP accreditation. She now works mostly freelance. She has many interests in EAP, including teacher education, course design, assessment principles and practice, education technology, and teaching reading. Nicholas Regan is an ELT writer and teacher trainer. Since 2002, he has worked as an independent consultant for teacher development in the primary and secondary sectors, covering teaching in under-resourced and crowded classrooms, and working with Ministries of Education, Universities and schools in China, Africa, the Middle East, Latin America and the EU. He has also been involved in the evaluation of state provision of English teaching. For several years he taught English at secondary school level in Latin America. For Garnet Education, he has co-authored the ESP course Take-Off, and has also contributed to ESAP: Mechanical Engineering, Progressive Skills in English, New Skills in English, UAE English Skills series and the English for Libya series. He has also written materials for ELT training at Diploma level. His other work includes examining and assessment design for ESOL teaching qualifications; pre- and in-service training; and supervision of dissertations for MA TESOL students at the University of Birmingham. He holds the Trinity College London LTCL DipTESOL and an MA in Applied Linguistics from the University of Reading, UK. Terry Phillips has worked in ELT for more than 35 years as a teacher, teaching supervisor, manager and language school owner. As a consultant, he has worked in more than 20 countries in all parts of the world, advising state and private language institutions on all aspects of school management. For the last ten years, he has been a full time freelance writer with his wife Anna, producing more than 160 published books in ELT. Although he and Anna have worked for all the major publishers, all recent works have been for Garnet Education. Terry is the series editor of the English for Specific Academic Purposes series for Garnet Education, which aims to prepare students to entry into a particular faculty for English-medium tertiary education. The series won the ESU award in 2009.
- Author(s)Amanda Ilic,David Howey,Marian Dunn,Nicholas Regan
- PublisherGarnet Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication01/07/2008
- GenreEngineering & Technology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleEnglish for Specific Academic Purposes
- Place of PublicationReading
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintGarnet Education
- Content Noteblack and white tables and illustrations
- Weight820 g
- Width210 mm
- Height280 mm
- Series Edited byTerry Phillips
- Format DetailsSewn
- Edition StatementTeacher's Edition
Best-selling in Adult Learning & University
Save on Adult Learning & University
- £8.51Trending at £10.17
- £13.86Trending at £15.65
- £8.19Trending at £11.99
- £23.41Trending at £25.33
- £20.64Trending at £21.95
- £17.46Trending at £19.66
- £9.39Trending at £12.98
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.