All listings for this product
Best-selling in Manuals & Resources
Save on Manuals & Resources
- £17.19Trending at £32.63
- £12.49Trending at £14.88
- £12.49Trending at £14.88
- £24.99Trending at £42.79
- £30.73Trending at £32.68
- £6.17Trending at £6.29
- £12.99Trending at £15.24
About this product
- DescriptionFocused on and organized around environmental issues, this book engages students and helps them critically evaluate possible solutions to the environmental problems we now face. It outlines specific environmental issues and provides the scientific background to enable students to understand each issue.
- Author BiographyScott Spoolman is a writer with more than 30 years of experience in educational publishing. He has worked with Tyler Miller since 2003 as a coauthor on editions of LIVING IN THE ENVIRONMENT, ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE, and SUSTAINING THE EARTH. With Norman Myers, he also coauthored ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES AND SOLUTIONS: A MODULAR APPROACH. Spoolman holds a master's degree in science journalism from the University of Minnesota. He has authored numerous books and articles in the fields of environmental science, geology and natural history, politics, and business. He worked as an acquisitions editor on a series of college forestry textbooks. He has also worked as a consulting editor in the development of over 70 college and high school textbooks in fields of the natural and social sciences. In his free time, he enjoys exploring the forests and waters of his native Wisconsin along with his family- his wife, environmental educator Gail Martinelli, and his son Will and daughter Katie. As an interdisciplinary environmental scientist, Norman Myers has been a pioneer in identifying and looking for solutions to some of the world's major environmental problems. Myers has carried out research and worked as an environmental consultant in more than 50 countries. He has also served as a visiting professor at more than 20 colleges and universities. Myers' pioneering research led him to estimate that we were losing one species every day, on average. He helped alert the world to the destruction of tropical forests, explained the economic and ecological reasons for preserving biodiversity, and co-authored a groundbreaking interdisciplinary book describing the state of the planet (published in 1984 and updated in 2005). In addition, Myers originated the idea of preserving biodiversity by identifying and protecting biodiversity hotspots, and he has written of the need for environmental security as a basis for political stability, perverse government subsidies and how they harm the environment, and institutional roadblocks that have blocked many solutions to environmental problems. Myers has written 20 books that have seen sales of more than 1 million copies in 11 language, 300 professional papers in scientific journals, and more that 300 popular articles in newspapers and magazines. He has also served as an adviser to many academic bodies, governments, and international agencies, including the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, the White House, NASA, the World Bank, the United Nations, and the U.S. Departments of State, Defense and Energy. Myers has received more than 20 major environmental awards and honors, including the Blue Planet Prize, the UNEP Environment Prize, and the Volvo Environment Prize.
- Author(s)Norman Myers,Scott Spoolman
- PublisherCengage Learning, Inc
- Date of Publication31/01/2013
- GenreGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1105 g
- Width230 mm
- Height277 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Edition StatementInternational edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.