All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)Aaron Devor
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication29/08/2016
- GenreGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note8 b&w illus.
- Weight1003 g
- Width3971 mm
- Height5983 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Foreword byJamison Green
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Table Of ContentsForeword, 2016 / by Jamison Green Foreword, 1997 / by Jamison Green Acknowledgements New Introduction Original Introduction Part I: First Questions 1. Have Female-to-Male Transsexuals Always Existed? 2. Theories about Transsexualism Part II: Childhood Years 3. Finding Out about Gender: Theories of Childhood Gender Acquisition 4. Family Scenes 5. Who Would Want to Be a Girl?: The Women (and Girls) in Participants' Families 6. Men Rule: The Men (and Boys) in Participants' Families 7. Lessons Learned at Home: Summary of Family Relationships 8. Childhood Friends and Foes: Relationships with Non-Family Members Part III: Adolescence 9. Adolescence Is about Change 10. Crises at Puberty 11. Adolescent Friendships 12. Women Are Different: Relationships with Female Relatives 13. Access Denied, Restrictions Apply: Relationship with Male Relatives 14. Looking for Love, Groping for Identity: Adolescent Sexuality 15. Concluding Adolescence Part IV: Pre-Transition Years 16. Finding Identities Part V: Changing Over 17. A Long Road 18. Making the Decision 19. Making the Changes 20. Coming Out Stories 21. Are We There Yet? Part VI: Life after Transition 22. Nature Calls: Toilet Traumas and Medical Necessities 23. The Naked Truth about Sexuality 24. Visions of Genders 25. Lessons from the Journey Part: VII: Concluding 26. Conclusions and Questions Appendix Notes Bibliography Subject Index Participant Index
- Author BiographyAaron H. Devor is the world's first Research Chair in Transgender Studies, the Founder and Academic Director of the world's largest Transgender Archives, a former Dean of Graduate Studies (2002-2012), and a professor of Sociology at the University of Victoria in British Columbia, Canada. He has been studying and teaching on transgender topics since the mid-1980s and was one of the authors of versions 6 and 7 of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health's (WPATH) Standards of Care, guiding their translation into world languages. Aaron is author of numerous well-cited scholarly articles, and the widely-acclaimed books Gender Blending: Confronting the Limits of Duality (IUP, 1989), and The Transgender Archives: Foundations for the Future, a Lambda Literary Awards finalist in LGBT nonfiction. Aaron has delivered lectures to audiences around the world, and is a national-award-winning teacher, an elected member of the International Academy of Sex Research, and an elected Fellow of the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality.
Best selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £8.55Trending at £9.60
- £6.19Trending at £6.32
- £4.88Trending at £5.14
- £32.40Trending at £33.78
- £11.14Trending at £12.83
- £9.99Trending at £10.63
- £12.39Trending at £13.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.