All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis comprehensive examination of American gangs discusses the establishment and growth of gangs as well as prevention and intervention measures to gang activity. Howell is able to connect theory to practicality in a very easy to read fashion while maintaining a foundation based on research.
- Author BiographyDr. James C. (Buddy) Howell is a senior research associate with the National Gang Center, in Tallahassee, Florida, where he has worked for 19 years. He formerly worked at the U.S. Department of Justice for 23 years, mostly as director of research and program development in the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention. He has published 50 works on youth and street gangs, and a similar number on juvenile justice and delinquency prevention, and seven books on both topics. His gang publication topics include street gang history; gang homicides; drug trafficking; gangs in schools; hybrid gangs; myths about gangs; risk factors; gang problem trends; gang history in the U.S.; and what works in preventing gang activity, combating gangs, and reducing gang crime. He is very active in helping states and localities reform their juvenile justice systems and use evidence-based programs and in working with these entities to address youth gang problems in a balanced approach. Dr. Elizabeth Griffiths is an associate professor in the School of Criminal Justice at Rutgers University-Newark. After completing her Ph.D. in Sociology at the University of Toronto, she joined the faculty of the Department of Sociology at Emory University before moving to Rutgers in 2011. She is also a former pre-doctoral fellow of the National Consortium on Violence Research and a former Junior Fellow of the Centre of Criminology at the University of Toronto. Her research spans multiple substantive and methodological areas, including communities and crime, spatial diffusion of violence, temporal trends in homicide, the emergence of gang in places, the transformation of public housing, youth crime and the code of the street, the efficacy of drug free zones, and victimization risk among others.
- Author(s)Elizabeth A. Griffiths,James C. Howell
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication21/05/2015
- GenreSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight572 g
- Width187 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £7.99Trending at £9.47
- £4.88Trending at £5.00
- £7.75Trending at £7.88
- £4.98Trending at £5.61
- £5.66Trending at £7.06
- £12.03Trending at £12.70
- £32.40Trending at £33.27
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.