All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe methods of modern differential geometry have become important in theoretical physics and have applications in relativity, high-energy physics and field theory, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics and mechanics. This textbook provides an introduction to these methods and covers their applications to theoretical physics.
- Author BiographyBernard Schutz has done research and teaching in general relativity and especially its applications in astronomy since 1970. He is the author of more than 200 publications, including A First Course in General Relativity and Gravity from the Ground Up (both published by Cambridge University Press). Schutz currently specialises in gravitational wave research, studying the theory of potential sources and designing new methods for analysing the data from current and planned detectors. He is a member of most of the current large-scale gravitational wave projects: GEO600 (of which he is a PI), the LIGO Scientific Collaboration, and LISA. Schutz is a Director of the Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics, also known as the Albert Einstein Institute (AEI), in Potsdam, Germany. He holds a part-time chair in Physics and Astronomy at Cardiff University, Wales, as well as honorary professorships at Potsdam and Hanover universities in Germany. Educated in the USA, he taught physics and astronomy for twenty years at Cardiff before moving to Germany in 1995 to the newly-founded AEI. In 1998 he founded the open-access online journal Living Reviews in Relativity. The Living Reviews family now includes six journals. In 2006 he was awarded the Amaldi Gold Medal of the Italian Society for Gravitation (SIGRAV), and in 2011 he received an honorary DSc from the University of Glasgow. He is a Fellow of the American Physical Society and the Institute of Physics, an Honorary Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society, and a member of the Learned Society of Wales, the German Academy of Natural Sciences Leopoldina and the Royal Society of Arts and Sciences, Uppsala.
- Author(s)Bernard F. Schutz
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication28/01/1980
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note78d.
- Weight390 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best selling in Mathematics & Sciences
Save on Mathematics & Sciences
- £21.99Trending at £34.99
- £11.85Trending at £12.99
- £11.22Trending at £12.20
- £17.90Trending at £19.98
- £19.38Trending at £19.98
- £18.49Trending at £25.00
- £11.80Trending at £12.99
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.