All listings for this product
About this product
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication30/08/2016
- GenreMusic & Dance
- Series TitleThe Bard Music Festival
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2016
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note20 halftones. 10 tables. nine musical examples.
- Weight514 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byArman Schwartz,Emanuele Senici
- Table Of ContentsAcknowledgments vii Permissions viii Introduction: Puccini, His World, and Ours 1 EMANUELE SENICI PART I: Essays Realism and Skepticism in Puccini's Early Operas 29 ARMAN SCHWARTZ Madama Butterfly Between East and West 49 ARTHUR GROOS Laggiu nel Soledad: Indexing and Archiving the Operatic West 85 ELLEN LOCKHART The Swallow and the Lark: La rondine and Viennese Operetta 111 MICAELA BARANELLO Puccini's Things: Materials and Media in Il trittico 133 ALESSANDRA CAMPANA AND CHRISTOPHER MORRIS Puccini, Fascism, and the Case of Turandot 159 BEN EARLE Music, Language, and Meaning in Opera: Puccini and His Contemporaries 183 LEON BOTSTEIN PART II: Documents Puccini on His Interpreters 229 INTRODUCTION, TRANSLATION, AND COMMENTARY BY EMANUELE SENICI The Verismo Debate 261 INTRODUCTION, TRANSLATION, AND COMMENTARY BY ARMAN SCHWARTZ Leoncavallo's Pagliacci and Modern-Realistic Opera 273 by Hans Merian INTRODUCTION BY WALTER FRISCH, TRANSLATION AND NOTES BY ELAINE FITZ GIBBON Albert Carre's Staging Manual for Madama Butterfly (1906) 291 INTRODUCTION BY MICHELE GIRARDI, TRANSLATION BY DELIA CASADEI; STAGING MANUAL TRANSLATION BY STEVEN HUEBNER Selections from Fausto Torrefranca's Giacomo Puccini and International Opera 323 INTRODUCTION BY ALEXANDRA WILSON, TRANSLATION BY DELIA CASADEI Index 337 Notes on Contributors 347
- Author BiographyArman Schwartz is a Birmingham Fellow in Music at the University of Birmingham and a member of the editorial board of Opera Quarterly. Emanuele Senici is professor of music history at the University of Rome la Sapienza and a former editor of the Cambridge Opera Journal.
Best selling in The Arts
Save on The Arts
- £109.99Trending at £123.46
- £6.80Trending at £7.69
- £14.34Trending at £14.60
- £23.91Trending at £29.71
- £36.27Trending at £37.44
- £28.35Trending at £31.99
- £28.91Trending at £37.40
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.