All listings for this product
Best-selling in Puzzles, Trivia & Indoor Games
About this product
- DescriptionAn evening with a group of Hancock's new avant-garde friends produces gems of abstract poetry, not only from the group but also from Sid and Bill.
- Author BiographyRay Galton and Alan Simpson met in a sanatorium in Surrey, where they were both being treated for TB. Ray Galton remembers noticing the six-foot-four Simpson and thinking he looked surprisingly large - 'you expect everyone in a sanatorium to be thin and weedy, and he was the biggest guy I'd ever seen'. During two years in the same ward, they listened to comedy shows together and also wrote a series of their own, creating a radio room in a linen cupboard. Having left the sanatorium within a few months of each other, they decided to get a professional opinion of their work and sent a sketch they had written called The Pirate Sketch to the BBC. They were asked to go in for an interview, and soon found themselves writing for the sketch show Happy Go Lucky. Over the next two years they continued to write sketches for a number of big names, before coming up with the idea for Hancock's Half Hour. Although the BBC took some persuading, eventually the show was scheduled, initially for radio but later as a television series. A phenomenally successful ten years later, Galton and Simpson were themselves very well known names. After Hancock's Half Hour they wrote Comedy Playhouse for the BBC, out of which came their second huge television and radio hit, Steptoe & Son. In 1977 they wrote The Galton & Simpson Playhouse, produced by Yorkshire Television for ITV.
- Author(s)Alan Simpson,Ray Galton
- PublisherBBC Audio, A Division Of Random House
- Date of Publication02/02/2012
- GenreHumour: Collections & General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBBC Physical Audio
- Weight93 g
- Width142 mm
- Height125 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Read byBill Kerr,Full Cast,Sid James,Tony Hancock,Warren Mitchell
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time50
- Edition StatementA&M
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.