All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)Peter S. Wells
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication17/07/2015
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight457 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Table Of ContentsList of Illustrations vii Preface xi Acknowledgments xvii Part I: Theory and Method Chapter 1: Of Monsters and Flowers 1 Chapter 2: Seeing and Shaping Objects 18 Chapter 3: The Visual Worlds of Early Europe 34 Chapter 4: Frame, Focus, Visualization 52 Part II: Material: Objects and Arrangements Chapter 5: Pottery: The Visual Ecology of the Everyday 72 Chapter 6: Attraction and Enchantment: Fibulae 99 Chapter 7: Status and Violence: Swords and Scabbards 112 Chapter 8: Arranging Spaces: Objects in Graves 131 Chapter 9: Performances: Objects and Bodies in Motion 155 Chapter 10: New Media in the Late Iron Age: Coins and Writing 176 Part III: Interpreting the Patterns Chapter 11: Changing Patterns in Objects and in Perception 188 Chapter 12: Contacts, Commerce, and the Dynamics of New Visual Patterns 200 Conclusion Chapter 13: The Visuality of Objects, Past and Present 222 Bibliographic Essay 231 References Cited 249 Index 281
- Author BiographyPeter S. Wells is professor of anthropology at the University of Minnesota. His many books include Barbarians to Angels: The Dark Ages Reconsidered and The Barbarians Speak: How the Conquered Peoples Shaped Roman Europe (Princeton).
- PrizesCommended for PROSE Awards: Archeology & Anthropology 2012.
Best selling in History & Military
Save on History & Military
- £14.58Trending at £21.30
- £16.96Trending at £25.00
- £9.85Trending at £10.56
- £16.99Trending at £17.93
- £7.78Trending at £8.30
- £12.34Trending at £13.16
- £12.76Trending at £13.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.