All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)Monica G. Turner,Robert H. Gardner
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication03/11/2015
- GenreLife Sciences: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note16 black & white tables, biography
- Weight1307 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
- Table Of ContentsTable of Contents Chapter 1. Introduction to Landscape Ecology and Scale What is Landscape Ecology? Roots of Landscape Ecology Intellectual Foundations of Landscape Ecology Landscape Ecology Matures Scale and Heterogeneity Scale Terminology Hierarchy Theory and Cross-scale Interactions Upscaling and Downscaling Objectives of this Book Summary Discussion Questions Recommended Readings Chapter 2. Causes of Landscape Pattern Four Key Drivers of Landscape Pattern The Abiotic Template Biotic Interactions Human Land Use Disturbance and Succession Landscape Legacies and the Role of History Why is it Still Difficult to Explain and Predict Landscape Change? Multivariate Interacting Drivers Thresholds and Nonlinearites Social-ecological Systems Limited Ability to Perform Exeriments Summary Discussion Questions Recommended Readings Chapter 3. Introduction to Models What are Models and Why do we use them? What is a Model? Why Landscape Ecologists Need Models Strategy for Developing Models Define the Problem and Develop a Conceptual Model Tactics for Making the Model Work Neutral Landscape Models Neutral Models in Ecology Neutral Models in Landscape Ecology Insights and Applications of NLMs Summary Discussion Questions Recommended Readings Chapter 4. Landscape Metrics Why Quantify Pattern? p> Data Used in Landscape Analyses A Comment on Spatial Data Accuracy Caveats for Landscape Pattern Analysis, or READ THIS FIRST #1 The Classification Scheme is Critical #2 Scale Matters and Must be Defined #3 A Patch is not a Patch #4 Many Metrics are Correlated with one Another (and thus Redundant) #5 There is no Single, Magic Metric Metrics for Quantifying Landscape Pattern Metrics of Landscape Composition Metrics of Spatial Configuration Fractals Measures of Landscape Texture Measures of Landscape Connectivity Landscape Metrics: What is the State of the Science? What Constitutes a Significant Difference in Landscape Pattern? Making Sense out of Multiple Metrics Metrics and Landscape Indicators Some Additional Practical Advice and Parting Words Summary Discussion Questions Recommended Readings Chapter 5. Spatial Statistics Why do Landscape Ecologists use Spatial Statistics? Spatial Independence Nature of Spatial Structure Spatial Interpolation Caveats for Using Spatial Statistics, or READ THIS FIRST #1 The Spatial Dependence in Landscape Data must be Characterized and Considered #2 Spatial Autocorrelation is Not Always a Problem #3 Coincidence of Scales of Spatial Dependence Among Multiple Variables does not Prove Causality #4 Scale Always Matters #5 Stationarity is an Important Assumption in Many Spatial Statistical Analyses #6 Interpreting Spatial Statistics is both a Science and an Art Point Pattern Analysis Autocorrelation and Variography Spatial Autocorrelation Variography Cross-correlograms and Co-variograms Optimized Sampling Designs for Spatial Statistics Examples of Spatial Statistics in Landscape Ecology Selected Software Resources for Spatial Statistics Summary Discussion Questions Recommended Readings Chapter 6. Landscape Disturbance Dynamics
- Author BiographyMonica G. Turner Eugene P. Odum Professor of Ecology Department of Zoology University of Wisconsin-Madison Madison, WI 53706 email@example.com Tel. 608-262-2592 Robert H. Gardner Professor Emeritus Appalachian Lab University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science Frostburg, MD 21532 firstname.lastname@example.org Tel. 707-230-5106
Best-selling in Mathematics & Sciences
Save on Mathematics & Sciences
- £18.49Trending at £25.06
- £10.56Trending at £11.25
- £11.29Trending at £12.12
- £8.70Trending at £10.01
- £5.43Trending at £6.98
- £8.53Trending at £12.66
- £8.27Trending at £9.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.