All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLong denigrated as dialects of Japanese, the Ryukyuan languages are today recognized as languages in their own right. However, speakers of Ryukyuan languages have suffered from stigmatization, oppressive language policies and domination from outside the Ryukyu Archipelago. As a result, the Ryukyuan languages are now severely endangered.
- Author BiographyMark Anderson is a Centre Exams Manager for Cambridge English Language Assessment and is affiliated to the University of New South Wales. His research interests have focused on sociolinguistic aspects of language shift since his PhD thesis Emergent Language Shift in Okinawa, at the Department of Japanese Studies, University of Sydney, in 2009. During his extensive travels across the Ryukyu Archipelago, he joined a traditional folk band and has produced a number of recordings over the last decade. At home in Sydney, he has been involved in TESOL/Applied Linguistics for several years, and has worked as a teacher after emigrating to Australia from his native UK in 2000. Patrick Heinrich is an Associate Professor in the Department of Asian and Mediterranean African Studies at Ca'Foscari University in Venice. His present research interests focus on language ideology, language shift dynamics and globalizing sociolinguistics. His recently-edited books include Handbook of the Ryukyuan Languages (with Shinsho Miyara and Michinori Shimoji; 2014); Mezase! Ryukyu shogo no iji [In Pursuit of Ryukyuan Language Maintenance] (with Michinori Shimoji; 2014); Language Life in Japan (with Christian Galan; 2011); and Higashi ajia ni okeru gengo fukko [Language Revitalization in East Asia] (with Shin Matsuo; 2010). His latest monograph is The Making of Monolingual Japan (2012).
- PublisherCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Date of Publication01/11/2014
- Place of PublicationNewcastle upon Tyne
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge Scholars Publishing
- Weight612 g
- Width148 mm
- Height212 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Edited byMark Anderson,Patrick Heinrich
- Format DetailsWith dust jacket
- Edition Statement1st Unabridged
Best selling in Dictionaries & Reference
Save on Dictionaries & Reference
- £15.12Trending at £15.74
- £6.77Trending at £8.22
- £3.22Trending at £5.48
- £27.74Trending at £29.28
- £5.99Trending at £6.32
- £22.58Trending at £28.58
- £20.55Trending at £21.98
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.