Save on Adult Learning & University
- £16.49Trending at £21.09
- £9.10Trending at £9.22
- £7.44Trending at £8.98
- £10.89Trending at £12.35
- £10.46Trending at £14.17
- £15.43Trending at £24.34
- £18.09Trending at £19.30
About this product
- DescriptionExamines the challenges and dilemmas facing minority members who choose the route of educational leadership. This book includes a list of suggestions concerning activism, leadership style, institutional politics, mentorship, and roles to help those who contemplate a career path in the field of education.
- Author BiographyLeonard A. Valverde, began his education career, as a junior high school mathematics teacher, around the same time as the civil rights movement was starting. He was a teacher in East Los Angeles during the time of the Watts 'Riots' and student walk-outs occurred. Shaped by these societal events and his upbringing as a second generation Mexican-American , his goal - to work to bring about equal educational opportunity - was formed. Due to his actions to work toward his goal, he was recruited by Claremont Graduate University and awarded a Ford Foundation Fellowship to study to be a change agent. Throughout his 35 years as an educator, he has remained true to be an agent for change and true to his goal and expanded it, i.e., to bring about social justice for persons of color. Specifically, through the roles he has assumed (Bilingual program director, math teacher supervisor, university professor, director of a research office, department chair, college dean, vice president for academic affairs and dean of graduate studies, and an now as executive director of a higher education consortium covering five southwest states) his efforts have been to make the educational enterprise more democratic and fair.
- Author(s)Leonard A. Valverde
- PublisherAltaMira Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication27/10/2003
- GenreEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationCalifornia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAltaMira Press,U.S.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight317 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edited byLeonard A. Valverde
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.