All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionExamines what is meant by Complex Adaptive Systems. This book offers a trans-disciplinary approach to leadership with elements of neurobiology, systems engineering, complexity science, and philosophy, as well as evolutionary and social psychology. It is suitable for systems engineers and organizational managers, coaches, and psychologists.
- Author BiographyBeverly Gay McCarter is an award-winning architect of immersive virtual environments whose company, Human Mosaic Systems (www.HumanMosiacSystems.com), is located in Cary, North Carolina (Research Triangle Park). She received her MS degree in counseling psychology and human systems from Florida State University and her MFA in studio art from the Memphis College of Art. She is also certified in the areas of facilitating self-organizing systems for complex environments (the Center for Self-Organizing Leadership) and the design and architecture of virtual worlds (University of Washington). While working as an independent contractor at the National Defense University in Washington, DC, she instructed faculty and Pentagon leadership in the navigation and use of virtual worlds, in addition to coordinating and executing the efforts of the Federal Consortium for Virtual Worlds to bring the federal government into virtual worlds. McCarter is an architect/designer of 3D immersive virtual environments focusing on the psychology of the avatar and virtual worlds, the inherent complex dynamics involved, as well as the impact of the aesthetics of 3D immersive environments on complex human systems. She has advised the Pentagon virtual simulation teams, a solution provider for Linden Labs' Second Life virtual world, and currently works in a variety of other immersive virtual platforms. As a facilitator, McCarter has worked with the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC, among others, facilitating group discussions untangling the wicked problems of social interactions that overwhelm today's organizational structures. McCarter is an award-winning artist, focusing on human dynamics and the inherent effects of complexity and the edge-of-chaos on human consciousness. Her work emphasizes the ability to see multiple perspectives and the complexity of who we are, and our relationships with others. Through the integration of these areas of expertise, McCarter designs powerful immersive environments that enable self-organization and collaboration as well as a deeper understanding about one's own perspectives or views of reality and those of others. She architects environments that understand the underlying complex human dynamics and help facilitate the building of relationships, bonding, and greater understanding, all of which help individuals collaborate as they make decisions in complex, ever-changing environments. A sample of videos that expand more on McCarter's work can be found at the following link: http://www.humanmosaicsystems.com/page1.php. Relevant publications and presentations by McCarter include: * Lowell F. Christy, Jr., and Beverly G. McCarter. Why Whole Systems Thinking Is Moving Beyond Engineering Backwaters. George Washington University. Research Program in Social and Organizational Learning. Washington, DC. January 29, 2008 * B. G. McCarter, Federal Virtual World Challenge: Description, Results and Discussion, Federal Consortium for Virtual Worlds, Washington, DC, May 16, 2012. * B. G. McCarter, Immersive Intelligence and 3D Data Visualization, Federal Consortium for Virtual Worlds, Washington, DC, May 16, 2012. * B. G. McCarter, Narrative Structures, Wicked Problems, and MUVEs, East Coast Gaming Conference, Raleigh, NC, April 25-26, 2012. * B. G. McCarter, Federal Virtual World Challenge: Winner Demonstrations, GameTech Users' Conference, Orlando, FL, March 28-30, 2012. * B. G. McCarter. Designing and Facilitating for Living Human Systems: Wicked Problems and MUVEs. Second Life Community Convention. Oakland, CA. August 14, 2011. * B. G. McCarter. Walking across Government Silos: The Power of Virtual Worlds. FISSEA. Washington, DC. March 25, 2010. * B. G. McCarter. Center for Naval Intelligence: Virtual World Overview. Center for Naval Intelligence. Virginia Beach, VA. March 23, 2010. * B. G. McCarter. Reaching across Organizations with Virtual Worlds. Social Media for
- Author(s)Beverly Gay McCarter,Brian E. White
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication15/10/2009
- GenreManagement Techniques: Professional
- Series TitleComplex and Enterprise Systems Engineering
- Series Part/Volume Number6
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAuerbach Publishers Inc.
- Content Note21 black & white illustrations, 2 black & white tables
- Weight589 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Series Edited byPaul R. Garvey
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best selling in Business, Economics & Industry
Save on Business, Economics & Industry
- £19.95Trending at £21.04
- £8.36Trending at £9.07
- £2.80Trending at £4.58
- £11.71Trending at £13.59
- £14.55Trending at £15.12
- £12.77Trending at £13.46
- £8.22Trending at £8.52
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.