All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMartial (Marcus Valerius Martialis) was a Spanish writer who lived in Rome in the second half of the first century AD. This book tells what we know about the man's commonsense attitude to life, and his hatred of hypocrisy and malice. It also assesses his debt to literary tradition and the astonishing influence he had on later writers.
- Author BiographyPeter Howell was Senior Lecturer in the Department of Classics, Royal Holloway, University of London until his retirement in 1999. He is the author of A Commentary on Book I of the Epigrams of Martial (1980) and Martial: The Epigrams, Book V (1995).
- Author(s)Peter Howell
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication26/02/2009
- GenreLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleAncients in Action
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBristol Classical Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight159 g
- Width135 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £13.39Trending at £13.78
- £4.42Trending at £4.52
- £25.99Trending at £28.18
- £8.94Trending at £9.26
- £22.98Trending at £25.50
- £14.54Trending at £15.21
- £23.93Trending at £24.69
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.