All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)Dr. Giles E. M. Gasper,Professor Svein H. Gullbekk
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/05/2015
- GenreChristian History & Denominations
- Series TitleReligion and Money in the Middle Ages
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIncludes 21 colour and 5 b&w illustrations
- Weight750 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Series Edited byProfessor Svein H. Gullbekk,Dr. Giles E. M. Gasper
- Edition StatementNew edition
- Table Of ContentsContents: Prefatory remarks; Introduction: Money and the Church: definitions, disciplines and directions, Giles E. M. Gasper. Part I Attitudes to Money within the Church: Turpe lucrum? Wealth, money and coinage in the Millennial Church, Rory Naismith; Contemplating money and wealth in monastic writing c.1060-c.1160, Giles E. M. Gasper; Nummus falsus: the perception of counterfeit money in the 11th and early 12th century, Greti Dinkova-Bruun; A herald of scholasticism: Alan of Lille on economic virtues, Odd Langholm. Part II Buying, Selling and Building: The Use of Money by the Church: Financing cathedral-building in the Middle Ages: the 11th to 13th centuries, Wim Vroom; The Church and money in 12th century England, James L. Bolton; The Church and monetization in early medieval Denmark, c. 1060-1160, Bjorn Poulsen; The Church, markets and money in early medieval England, S. J. and N. J. Mayhew. Part III Money and Power: Coinage, Salvation and Ritual: From HEINRICVS REX to ROTHARDVS ABBAS - monastic coinage under the Ottonians and Salians (c. 911-1125), Sebastian Steinbach; Saints, dukes and bishops: coinage in ducal Normandy, c. 930-c. 1150, Jens Christian Moesgaard; Saints, sinners and ... a cow: offerings, alms and tokens of memory, Lucia Travaini; The Church and money in Norway c. 1050-1250: salvation and monetisation, Svein H. Gullbekk. Bibliography; Index.
- Author BiographyGiles E.M. Gasper is a Senior Lecturer in Medieval History within the Department of History at Durham University, UK. Professor Svein H. Gullbekk is Professor in Numismatics and History of Money at the Department of Ethnography, Numismatics and Classical Archaeology at the Museum of Cultural History, University of Oslo, Norway.
Best selling in History & Military
Save on History & Military
- £9.40Trending at £10.46
- £17.50Trending at £34.04
- £10.89Trending at £12.46
- £14.78Trending at £20.94
- £14.24Trending at £14.61
- £10.50Trending at £14.12
- £9.85Trending at £10.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.