All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLike other industrial nations, Japan is experiencing its own forms of, and problems with, internationalization and multiculturalism. This volume focuses on several aspects of this process and examines the immigrant minorities as well as their Japanese recipient communities.
- Author BiographyNelson H. Graburn was educated in Natural Sciences and Anthropology at Cambridge, McGill, and the University of Chicago. He has carried out ethnographic research with the Inuit of Northern Canada since 1959, and in Japan since 1974. He has taught at the University of California, Berkeley, since 1964, with visiting appointments at the National Museum of Civilization, Ottawa; Le Centre des Hautes Etudes Touristiques, Aix-en-Provence; the National Museum of Ethnology (Minpaku) in Osaka; and the Research Center for Korean Studies, Kyushu National University, Fukuoka. His recent research has focused on the study of art, tourism, museums, and the expression and representation of identity. John Ertl is a doctoral candidate in Anthropology at the University of California, Berkeley. He worked on the JET program in Tochigi Prefecture for two years. He was a visiting scholar at the University of Tokyo and spent a year conducting his dissertation research in Noto Peninsula. His research interests include social reproduction and change, traditionalism, place making, urban planning, and local government in Japan. R. Kenji Tierney earned his Ph.D. at the University of California, Berkeley (2002). After a Reischauer Postdoctoral Fellowship at Harvard University and ExEAS Fellowship at the Weatherhead Institute, Columbia University, he has taught at Union College, Schenectady, New York, since 2004. He has taught courses on Japan and East Asia, Africa, food, space, and place; he specializes in historical and symbolic anthropology.
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication30/08/2010
- GenreSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleAsian Anthropologies
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 6
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight358 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byJohn Ertl,Nelson H. Graburn,R. Kenji Tierney
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £10.20Trending at £10.87
- £6.41Trending at £7.35
- £9.26Trending at £11.41
- £11.49Trending at £13.59
- £9.95Trending at £12.97
- £5.71Trending at £7.27
- £6.53Trending at £6.98
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.