All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £6.40Trending at £7.35
- £4.89Trending at £5.24
- £10.30Trending at £11.42
- £12.46Trending at £12.75
- £12.10Trending at £13.61
- £10.87Trending at £13.88
- £23.95Trending at £24.71
About this product
- DescriptionThis review of the astrophysical approach to investigating gravity theories pays particular attention to strong-field tests of general relativity and alternative theories of gravity, performed using collapsed objects in relativistic binaries as laboratories.
- Author BiographyMonica Colpi is professor in stellar astronomy and relativistic astrophysics at the Department of Physics of the University of Milano Bicocca, Italy. Born in 1957 in Rovereto (TN), she graduated in physics in 1982 and earned her Ph.D. degree in 1987 at the University of Milano. She has been a visiting scientist at Cornell University and postdoctoral fellow at the International School for Advanced Study (ISAS/SISSA) in Trieste. Since 1991 she has been a permanent staff member at the University of Milano. Monica Colpi is author of numerous scientific papers published in international journals, mainly in the fields of high energy astrophysics and compact objects. She has contributed relevant studies on the theory of accretion; the secular/dynamical/internal evolution of neutron stars in the Milky Way, from magnetars to pulsars and x-ray sources; the structure and stability of neutron stars; on boson stars; on black holes and neutron stars natal kicks; and on the dynamics of massive black holes in merging galaxies and dense stellar systems, in the context of models for the formation of galactic structures. Monica Colpi is a member of the board of the Italian Society of General Relativity and Gravitational Physics and co-chairperson of the Society's Graduate School in Contemporary Relativity and Gravitational Physics which takes place biannually at the Alessandro Volta Center for Scientific Culture in Villa Olmo, Como, Italy.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication01/10/2008
- GenreAstronomy, Space & Time
- Series TitleAstrophysics and Space Science Library
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 359
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight760 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byAndrea Possenti,Monica Colpi,Piergiorgio Casella,Ugo Moschella,Vittorio Gorini
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.