All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)Dr. Jelena Novak
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/05/2015
- GenreMusic & Dance
- Series TitleAshgate Interdisciplinary Studies in Opera
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIncludes 13 b&w illustrations
- Weight512 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Series Edited byProfessor Roberta Montemorra Marvin
- Table Of ContentsContents: Foreword, Louis Andriessen. Part I Focusing on Body Singing: Postopera and vocalic body; Body-voice gap, postopera and body/voice theory. Part II Voices Beyond Corporeality: Performing Singing as Upgrading: Singing beyond the body: uniqueness, intruder and prosthesis; Monstrous singing: the politics of vocal existence. Part III Throwing the Voice, Catching the Body: Opera, Ventriloquism, and De-Synchronization: Operatizing the film: body without voice and voice without body; Singing letters, multiplied bodies, and dissociated voice. Part IV Singing Gender as a Performance: Voice and gender standing apart; Vocal drag, counter-castrato, and the scandal of the singing body. Reinventing the vocalic body in postopera: conclusion. Bibliography; Index.
- Author BiographyJelena Novak works in the area of musicology, opera studies, performance studies, dramaturgy and criticism. She is a postdoctoral research fellow at CESEM (Centro de Estudos de Sociologia e Estetica Musical), New University of Lisbon, Portugal with the project 'Opera beyond Drama.' She has been a founding committee member of the Society for Minimalist Music and a founding member of the editorial collective TkH (Walking Theory). In 2013 she won the Thurnau Award for Music-Theatre Studies.
Best selling in The Arts
Save on The Arts
- £7.45Trending at £7.95
- £29.50Trending at £44.47
- £27.37Trending at £28.61
- £26.39Trending at £28.15
- £20.75Trending at £21.49
- £11.33Trending at £11.84
- £23.35Trending at £23.96
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.