All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHistoric and often picturesque ruins have been an integral part of the British landscape for many centuries. They have been an influencing factor in the development of art, architecture and landscape management.
- Author BiographyAfter infancy in India and boarding school in England he won history exhibition to Pembroke College, Cambridge. Interrupted by military service including a spell in Northern Ireland went on to do a Phd. on the Mesolithic in Spain. Subsequently stated as Inspector of Ancient Monuments in 1954 and spent 20 years in London and 10 in Cardiff as Head of Ancient Monuments in Wales. Arising from an interest in prehistoric technology did several translations from Russian published in the 1960s. The discovery of field notebooks of Pitt-Rivers as Inspector led to articles and eventually a short biography. Meanwhile work on Ministry guidebooks and monuments led to a book on Ruins for British Museum Publications and after retirement a series of books on medieval buildings, especially castles and abbeys. This book is a return to the subjects of ruins prompted by a revival of interest in restoration.
- Author(s)Michael Thompson
- PublisherHeritage Marketing & Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication15/04/2006
- Place of PublicationKing's Lynn
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintHeritage Marketing & Publications Ltd
- Content Note38 illus
- Width170 mm
- Height250 mm
Best selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £8.55Trending at £9.60
- £6.19Trending at £6.32
- £4.80Trending at £5.14
- £32.40Trending at £33.78
- £11.14Trending at £12.83
- £9.99Trending at £10.63
- £12.39Trending at £13.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.