All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDemosthenes was one of the greatest of the classic Athenian orators. He wrote for the courts in public and private cases and in major political trials and is a major source for the history of Athens' struggle against Macedon. This is the widest selection of his speeches in a single volume.
- Author BiographyRobin Waterfield was a university lecturer and publisher before becoming a full time writer. His translations for Oxford World's Classics include Plato's Republic and five other editions of Plato's dialogues, Herodotus, Plutarch, two volumes of Euripides' plays, Xenophon's The Expedition of Cyrus and The First Philosophers: The Presocratics and the Sophists. His other books include Dividing the Spoils: the War for Alexander the Great's Empire (OUP, 2011). He lives in Greece. Chris Carey has previously taught at Cambridge, St Andrews, and Royal Holloway before moving to UCL. He has published widely Greek oratory and law, including Democracy in classical Athens (Bristol Classical Press, 2000) and Trials from classical Athens (Routledge, 2/e 2011).
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication08/05/2014
- Series TitleOxford World's Classics
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Note3 maps
- Weight392 g
- Width129 mm
- Height196 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Translated byRobin Waterfield
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £24.44Trending at £26.04
- £23.12Trending at £34.93
- £10.01Trending at £10.67
- £24.23Trending at £25.25
- £17.16Trending at £22.74
- £21.66Trending at £24.06
- £4.99Trending at £6.16
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.