All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSunjata is an African aural epic which details the exploits of its hero as he defeats his greatest adversary, and establishes himself as master of a growing empire. This edition contains two renditions of the tale which have been transcribed and translated from by African Grigots.
- Author BiographyBamba Suso (d. 1974) was one of the foremost Gambian griots and had an extensive knowledge of local oral traditions. Banna Kanute (d. circa 1994) was a renowned musician and griot who played with the Gambia National Troupe. Gordon Innes researched and wrote about Mande languages and oral literatures during his career at the School of Oriental and African Studies. Lucy Duran and Graham Furniss have written on African music and literature respectively and teach at SOAS.
- Author(s)Bamba Suso,Banna Kanute
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication07/10/1999
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Classics
- Content Notemaps, chronologies
- Weight123 g
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Edited byGraham Furniss,Lucy Duran
- Translated byGordon Innes,Bakari Sidibe
- Introduction byLucy Duran,Graham Furniss
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best selling in Literature, Poetry & Criticism
Save on Literature, Poetry & Criticism
- £6.27Trending at £7.73
- £7.26Trending at £8.12
- £8.77Trending at £9.30
- £6.42Trending at £6.76
- £4.00Trending at £6.99
- £12.49Trending at £13.16
- £7.76Trending at £9.41
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.