All listings for this product
About this product
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication29/06/2015
- GenreFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note40 b&w illus.
- Weight363 g
- Width152 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Paginationxiii, 254
- Edited byJosef Gugler
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Table Of ContentsIntroduction: Auteur Directors, Political Dissent, and Social Critique Josef Gugler 1. Nabil Maleh: Syria's Leopard (Syria) Christa Salamandra 2. Jocelyne Saab: A Lifetime Journey in Search of Freedom and Beauty (Lebanon) Dalia Said Mostafa 3. Michel Khleifi: Filmmaker of Memory (Palestine) Tim Kennedy 4. Elia Suleiman: Narrating Negative Space (Palestine) Refqa Abu-Remaileh 5. Youssef Chahine: Devouring Mimicries or Juggling with Self and Other (Egypt) Viola Shafik 6. Daoud Abd El-Sayed: Parody and Borderline Existence (Egypt) Viola Shafik 7. Yousry Nasrallah: The Pursuit of Autonomy in the Arab and European Film Markets (Egypt) Benjamin Geer 8. Mohamed Chouikh: From Anti-colonial Commemoration to a Cinema of Contestation (Algeria) Guy Austin 9. Merzak Allouache: (Self-)Censorship, Social Critique and the Limits of Political Engagement in Contemporary Algerian Cinema (Algeria) Will Higbee 10. Nabil Ayouch: Transgression, Identity, and Difference (Morocco) Jonathan Smolin Film Index Name Index
- Author BiographyJosef Gugler is Professor Emeritus of Sociology at the University of Connecticut. He is the author of African Film: Re-Imagining a Continent (IUP, 2003) and editor of Film in the Middle East and North Africa: Creative Dissidence.
Best selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £7.99Trending at £9.47
- £7.95Trending at £8.35
- £4.88Trending at £5.00
- £4.98Trending at £5.61
- £14.67Trending at £15.26
- £3.77Trending at £4.14
- £16.13Trending at £20.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.