All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Odysseus Elytis was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature, the Swedish Academy's citation singled out The Axion Esti , first published in 1959, as 'one of twentieth-century literature's concentrated and richly faceted poems.'
- Author BiographyBorn in Crete in 1911, Odysseus Elytis began to publish his poetry in the 1930s. He took part in the campaign against the Italian fascists in Albania in 1940-41. He was one of the most prominent poets of the Greek resistance during the Nazi occupation. The Nobel Prize was awarded to him in 1979 'for his poetry which, against the background of Greek tradition, depicts with sensuous strength and intellectual clear-sightedness modern man's struggle for freedom and creativeness'. He died in Athens in 1996.Edmund Keeley translated the poetry of Cavafy, Seferis and Sikelianos with the late Philip Sherrard. His translations of Yannis Ritsos received the Academy of American Poets' Landon Award and the EU's First European Prize. He is a novelist whose non-fiction works include Cavafy's Alexandria and Inventing Paradise.George Savidis was Professor of Modern Greek at the University of Thessaloniki and a Visiting Professor at Harvard. He edited the standard Greek editions of the poetry of Cavafy, Seferis, Sikelianos and Karyotakis, and with Edmund Keeley translated a selection of Cavafy's A unpublishedA poems. He died in 1995.
- Author(s)Odysseus Elytis
- PublisherCarcanet Press Ltd
- Date of Publication20/12/2007
- GenrePoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationManchester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAnvil Press Poetry
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Translated byEdmund Keeley,George Savidis
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best selling in Literature, Poetry & Criticism
Save on Literature, Poetry & Criticism
- £6.34Trending at £7.73
- £7.26Trending at £8.12
- £8.77Trending at £9.30
- £6.42Trending at £6.76
- £4.00Trending at £6.99
- £12.49Trending at £13.16
- £7.12Trending at £8.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.