All listings for this product
About this product
- Date of Publication16/04/2014
- GenreTechnology: General & Reference
- Series TitlePhilosophy of Engineering and Technology
- Series Part/Volume Number5
- Place of PublicationDordrecht
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- Content Note11 black & white tables, biography
- Weight409 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byIlse Oosterlaken,Jeroen van den Hoven
- Table Of ContentsPART I - INTRODUCTION.- 1. The Capability Approach and Technology: Taking Stock and Looking Ahead; Ilse Oosterlaken.- 2. Human Capabilities and Technology; Jeroen van den Hoven.- PART II - TECHNOLOGY.- 3. Liberation from / Liberation within: Examining 'One Laptop Per Child' with Amartya Sen and Bruno Latour; Kim Kullman and Nick Lee.- 4. Evaluating Emerging ICTs: A Critical Capability Approach of Technology; Yinqin Zheng and Bern Carsten Stahl.- 5. How I Learned to Love the Robot : Capabilities, Information Technologies, and Elderly Care; Mark Coeckelberg.- 6. Towards a Sustainable Synergy: End-use Energy Planning, Development as Freedom, Inclusive Institutions and Democratic Technics; Manu V. Mathai.- 7. Marrying the Capability Approach, Appropriate Technology and STS: The Case of Podcasting Devices in Zimbabwe; Ilse Oosterlaken, David J. Grimshaw and Pim Janssen.- 8. From Individuality to Collectivity: The Challenges for Technology-oriented Development Projects; Alvaro Fernandez-Baldor, Andres Hueso and Alejandra Boni.- 9. Technology Choice in Aid-Assisted Parliamentary Strengthening Projects in Developing Countries - A Capability Approach; Malik Aleem Ahmed.- PART III - DESIGN.- 10. Design, Risk and Capabilities; Colleen Murphy and Paolo Gardoni.- 11. Re-conceptualizing Design through the Capability Approach; Crighton Nichols and Andy Dong.- 12. Processes for Just Products: The Capability Space of Participatory Design; Alexandre Apsan Frediani and Camillo Boano.- 13. Inappropriate Artifact, Unjust Design? Human Diversity as a Key Concern in the Capability Approach and Inclusive Design; Ilse Oosterlaken.- About the authors.- Name index.- Subject Index.
- Author BiographyIlse Oosterlaken is one of the pioneering authors in the area of the capability approach, technology and design. She is co-founder of a thematic group on this topic within the Human Development & Capability Association (HDCA) and organizer of the very successful 2011 HDCA conference, with 'innovation' as its theme. Recently she was co-guest-editor of a special issue of Ethics and Information Technology on the capability approach. Jeroen van den Hoven is scientific director of the 3TU.Centre for Ethics and Technology and full professor in moral philosophy at TU Delft, specializing in the ethics of information technology. He is editor-in-chief of the journal Ethics and Information Technology. He is project leader of an NWO-funded multidisciplinary research project 'Technology for Development - A Capability Approach', in which co-editor Ilse Oosterlaken also works as one of the researchers.
Best selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £7.99Trending at £9.59
- £7.85Trending at £8.62
- £4.88Trending at £5.06
- £4.98Trending at £5.79
- £14.67Trending at £15.47
- £16.13Trending at £20.42
- £8.49Trending at £8.85
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.