All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)Michael Meltzer
- PublisherSpringer International Publishing AG
- Date of Publication03/01/2015
- GenreOther Specific Technologies
- Series TitleSpringer-Praxis Books
- Place of PublicationCham
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- ImprintSpringer International Publishing AG
- Content Note44 black & white illustrations, 40 colour illustrations, biography
- Weight861 g
- Width168 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Table Of ContentsPart I: Creating a New Expedition to Saturn.- Conceiving and Funding the Mission.- Building an International Partnership and Preventing Mission Cancellation.- Part II: Designing, Fabricating, and Integrating the Cassini-Huygens Space Vessel.- Constructing the Cassini Orbiter.- The Titan Huygens Probe.- Integrating the Cassini Orbiter, Huygens Probe, and Titan/Centaur Launch Vehicle.- Using Plutonium to Run a Spacecraft.- Part III: From Earth to Saturn.- The Interplanetary Journey.- How a Few People Can Make a Big Difference: The Doppler Shift Problem That Nearly Ended the Huygens Mission.- The Huygens Titan Probe Mission.- The Saturn Tour: Decision-Making Processes, Trajectory Design, and Changes of Management.- Part IV: A Great Natural Laboratory.- The Mother Planet and its Magnetosphere.- The Ring System.- The Icy Moons.- Titan Observations by the Cassini Orbiter.- Conclusions.- Appendix: Breakdown of Mission Costs.
- Author BiographyMichael Meltzer is a full-time writer of space exploration books and an environmental scientist and engineer. Meltzer worked as an environmental engineer at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory from 1990 to 2006. Before that, he was a senior environmental scientist at Jacobs Engineering Group. He holds a doctorate in Environmental Science and Engineering from UCLA and a masters degree in Geophysics and a bachelors degree in Physics from University of California at Berkeley. Meltzer has designed the curricula for two college-level classes. His previous books include When Biospheres Collide (NASA, 2011) and Mission to Jupiter (NASA, 2009) and a textbook entitled Passive & Active Solar Heating Technology (Prentice-Hall, 1985).
Best-selling in Adult Learning & University
Save on Adult Learning & University
- £8.51Trending at £10.20
- £13.86Trending at £15.69
- £41.00Trending at £49.78
- £8.19Trending at £11.98
- £23.41Trending at £25.40
- £20.64Trending at £22.01
- £17.46Trending at £19.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.