All listings for this product
About this product
- Author(s)Louis E. Wolcher
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication24/06/2016
- GenreLaw: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note10 black & white illustrations
- Weight517 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Table Of ContentsPART ONE: A FRAMEWORK FOR THINKING THE ETHICS OF THE REAL 1. Indicating the Pathway: Prologue: questioning the ethical sufficiency of unity and truth; the structure of the book; The fundamental question; The triune Politics/Law/Justice; Attention must be paid ; The continuum War-Peace. 2. The Journey to Disenchantment: Generality; Beyond Transcendence and the phenomenon of Logical Transcendence; Law's Task and the legal division of human suffering. 3. The Rise of the Particular: The lost nimbus; The ghost of the particular; Ontological particularity. 4. On Speechlessness: The speechless particular; The signifying face versus the enigmatic particular; The speechlessness of nature; Discourse and its antithesis. PART TWO: SOME PARTICULAR PROBLEMS OF THE PARTICULAR 5. International Law: Universal Human Rights and Cultural Diversity: The origins of diversity ; The dialectics of unity and diversity; The problem of linguistic diversity; The relativity of universality; The haunting; Xerxes whips the Hellespont. 6. Business: Asking the Right Question in Business Ethics: Can we harmonize ethical questions? ; Standard of conduct versus standard of review; The business judgment rule as ethical cover; Corporate social responsibility versus individual ethical responsibility; Command-and-control ethics; The business ethics question par excellence: Who am I? 7. Social Science: Senseless Kindness and the Politics of Cost-Benefit Analysis: What and why; Why and how; The phenomenon of senseless kindness; The challenge to CBA posed by the phenomenon of senseless kindness; The preference for altruism ; Economic rationality and the problem of selecting the right ex ante ; The significance of market facts : CBA's inherent antipathy to democratic politics; The politics of CBA. 8. Postscript: The problem of the subject(s); The completely broken heart.
- Author BiographyLouis E. Wolcher is a Professor of Law at University of Washington, USA.
Best selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £9.49Trending at £9.79
- £6.19Trending at £6.47
- £4.67Trending at £5.20
- £32.40Trending at £34.66
- £11.85Trending at £12.54
- £12.39Trending at £13.34
- £11.33Trending at £12.59
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.