All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor as long as mankind has had to work for a living, people who work have disparaged those who prefer not to. This glossary playfully explores the etymology and history of hundreds of idler-specific terms and phrases, while offering a foundation for a new mode of thinking about work and labor.
- Author BiographyJoshua Glenn: Joshua Glenn is a Boston-based journalist and scholar. He has labored as a bicycle shop manager and skateboard courier, a busboy and barrel-washer, a researcher and teacher, a handyman and housepainter a bartender and espresso jerk, and also as a magazine and newspaper editor. The only work he has ever done was: publishing Hermenaut, an intellectual zine; contributing regular columns to Feed.com, The Idler (UK), Britannica.com, The London Observer, and The Boston Globe's Ideas section; and editing Taking Things Seriously, a 2007 collection of essays and photos devoted to oddly significant objects. Mark Kingwell: After some years of graduate education in Britain and the United States, Mark Kingwell found he had inadvertently perfected a form of idling for which he could get paid. He is Professor of Philosophy at the University of Toronto and a contributing editor of Harper's Magazine, and has written for publications ranging from Adbusters and the New York Times to the Journal of Philosophy and Auto Racing Digest. Among his twelve books of political and cultural theory are the national best-sellers Better Living (1998), The World We Want (2000), and Concrete Reveries. In order to secure financing for their continued indulgence he has also written about his various hobbies, including fishing, baseball, cocktails, and contemporary art.
- Author(s)Joshua Glenn,Mark Kingwell
- Date of Publication15/12/2008
- GenreHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Place of PublicationEmeryville
- Country of PublicationCanada
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight100 g
- Width101 mm
- Height152 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £7.99Trending at £9.59
- £4.78Trending at £5.06
- £32.40Trending at £33.73
- £10.88Trending at £12.77
- £10.63Trending at £11.99
- £12.39Trending at £13.06
- £11.33Trending at £12.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.