All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA bilingual selection of the poems in Ashbery's luminous translations.
- Author BiographyPierre Martory was born in Bayonne in 1920 and spent much of his childhood in Morocco. He entered the School of Political Science in Paris in 1939, and in June 1940 escaped from Paris on the last train to leave before the Germans arrived. After a brief stay in prison in Lyon he succeeded in joining the French Army in Morocco, and subsequently fought alongside the Allied forces in the Tunisian campaign. After the war he suffered from depression and drifted through a series of jobs, eventually becoming the editor of Paris-Match. His novel Phebus ou le beau mariage was published in 1953. John Ashbery's translations of his poems have appeared in Poetry (Chicago), American Poetry Review and The New Yorker. He suffered a stroke in 1995 and died in 1998.
- Author(s)Pierre Martory
- PublisherCarcanet Press Ltd
- Date of Publication27/09/2008
- GenrePoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationManchester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCarcanet Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Width135 mm
- Height216 mm
- Translated byJohn Ashbery
Best selling in Literature, Poetry & Criticism
Save on Literature, Poetry & Criticism
- £6.33Trending at £7.73
- £7.26Trending at £8.12
- £8.77Trending at £9.30
- £4.99Trending at £6.31
- £12.49Trending at £13.16
- £7.12Trending at £8.79
- £12.09Trending at £13.47
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.