All listings for this product
About this product
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication06/10/2015
- GenreLiterary Criticism
- Series TitlePrinceton Library of Asian Translations
- Series Part/Volume Number5
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2013
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note40 line illus.
- Weight857 g
- Width152 mm
- Height235 mm
- Table Of ContentsList of Illustrations ix Acknowledgments xi Cast of Characters xiii CHAPTER 81 Han Tao-kuo Takes Advantage of a Chance to Appropriate the Goods; T'ang Lai-pao Defrauds His Master and Disregards His Benevolence 1 CHAPTER 82 P'an Chin-lien Makes an Assignation on a Moonlit Night; Ch'en Ching-chi Enjoys Two Beauties in a Painted Bower 17 CHAPTER 83 Ch'iu-chu, Harboring Resentment, Reveals a Clandestine Affair; Ch'un-mei Transmits a Note to Facilitate a Lovers' Rendezvous 35 CHAPTER 84 Wu Yueh-niang Creates a Stir in the Temple of Iridescent Clouds; Sung Chiang Uprightly Frees Her from the Ch'ing-feng Stronghold 54 CHAPTER 85 Wu Yueh-niang Surprises Chin-lien in the Act of Adultery; Auntie Hsueh Agrees to Sell Ch'un-mei on a Moonlit Night 72 CHAPTER 86 Sun Hsueh-o Instigates the Beating of Ch'en Ching-chi; Dame Wang Marries Off Chin-lien to the Highest Bidder 90 CHAPTER 87 Dame Wang Hungers after Wealth and Receives Her Just Reward; Wu Sung Kills His Sister-in-law and Propitiates His Brother 113 CHAPTER 88 P'an Chin-lien Appears in a Dream in Commandant Chou Hsiu's Home; Wu Yueh-niang Contributes a Gift to a Subscription-Seeking Monk 131 CHAPTER 89 On the Ch'ing-ming Festival the Widow Visits the New Grave; Wu Yueh-niang Blunders into the Temple of Eternal Felicity 151 CHAPTER 90 Lai-wang Absconds Together with Sun Hsueh-o; Sun Hsueh-o Is Sold to Chou Hsiu's Household 174 CHAPTER 91 Meng Yu-lou Is Happy to Marry Li Kung-pi; Li Kung-pi in a Fit of Rage Beats Yu-tsan 194 CHAPTER 92 Ch'en Ching-chi Is Entrapped in Yen-chou Prefecture; Wu Yueh-Niang Creates a Stir in the District Yamen 218 CHAPTER 93 Wang Hsuan Relies on Righteousness to Help the Poor; Abbot Jen in the Desire for Profit Invites Disaster 244 CHAPTER 94 Liu the Second Drunkenly Beats Ch'en Ching-chi; Sun Hsueh-o Becomes a Trollop in My Own Tavern 269 CHAPTER 95 P'ing-an Absconds with Jewelry from the Pawnshop; Auntie Hsueh Cleverly Proposes a Personal Appeal 289 CHAPTER 96 Ch'un-mei Enjoys Visiting the Pools and Pavilions of Her Old Home; Commandant Chou Hsiu Sends Chang Sheng to Look for Ch'en Ching-chi 309 CHAPTER 97 Ch'en Ching-chi Plays a Role in the Commandant's Household; Auntie Hsueh Peddles Trinkets and Proposes a Marriage Match 330 CHAPTER 98 Ch'en Ching-chi Opens a Tavern in Lin-ch'ing; Han Ai-chieh Encounters a Lover in a Bordello 349 CHAPTER 99 Liu the Second Drunkenly Curses Wang Liu-erh; Chang Sheng Wrathfully Kills Ch'en Ching-chi 370 CHAPTER 100 Han Ai-chieh Seeks Her Father and Mother in Hu-chou; Ch'an Master P'u-ching Rescues Souls from Perdition 391 Notes 421 Bibliography 501 Index 525
- Author BiographyDavid Tod Roy (1933-2016) was professor emeritus of Chinese literature at the University of Chicago. His monumental five-volume translation of the Chin P'ing Mei was completed in 2013.
- PrizesShort-listed for Choice Magazine Outstanding Reference/Academic Book Award 2014.
Best-selling in Other Non-Fiction
Save on Other Non-Fiction
- £24.44Trending at £26.15
- £23.12Trending at £35.14
- £10.01Trending at £10.71
- £24.23Trending at £25.36
- £17.16Trending at £22.84
- £4.99Trending at £6.18
- £18.99Trending at £34.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.