All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDrawing on his own unhappy experiences, Goethe's account of Werther's passionate love for Lotte, who is promised to another, is one of the first great Romantic tragic novels. David Constantine's new translation captures the novel's lyric intensity, and is accompanied by an introduction and notes that illuminate Goethe's achievement.
- Author BiographyDavid Constantine is a poet, novelist, and short-story writer who taught German language and literature at Durham and then Queen's College, Oxford. His most recent poetry collection is Nine Fathoms Deep (2009), and his most recent volulme of short stories, The Shieling (2009). He has translated Holderlin, Goethe, Kleist, and Brecht: Goethe's Faust, Part 1 and Part 2 for Penguin and Elective Affinities for Oxford World's Classics. In 2010 he won the BBC National Short Story Award. With his wife Helen he edits Modern Poetry in Translation.
- Author(s)Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication10/05/2012
- GenreGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleOxford World's Classics
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Weight126 g
- Width127 mm
- Height196 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Translated byDavid Constantine
Best-selling in General & Literary Fiction
Save on General & Literary Fiction
- £4.44Trending at £5.07
- £7.59Trending at £9.23
- £7.99Trending at £11.10
- £11.90Trending at £15.58
- £6.90Trending at £8.83
- £10.74Trending at £11.62
- £5.05Trending at £5.88
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.