Best-selling in History & Military
Save on History & Military
- £24.50Trending at £31.39
- £24.31Trending at £34.99
- £9.41Trending at £16.98
- £9.53Trending at £14.98
- £7.60Trending at £9.98
- £18.98Trending at £29.99
- £11.55Trending at £14.99
About this product
- DescriptionIn this essay collection, first published nearly a century ago, Gu Hongming compares Chinese and European civilizations while enumerating the virtues of China's traditional Confucian philosophy. Gu famously proposed applying Confucian solutions to the many problems faced by Europe in the early twentieth century. The Spirit of the Chinese People was a sensation in the West, presenting the culture and people of China and making Gu Hongming a national hero.
- Author BiographyBorn in Malaysia in 1857 to a Chinese father and Portuguese mother, Gu Hongming's mixed race family gave him an understanding of Asia and Europe that he would use well throughout his life. Educated in Scotland, he received an M.A. in Literature from the University of Edinburgh, a diploma in Civil Engineering at the University of Leipzig, Germany and studied law in Paris, France. Returning to Malaysia in 1880 he joined the colonial Singapore civil service and eventually went to China where he held many ranking positions in the Imperial government. Throughout his career he wrote many essays and books about Confucius, primarily in English. By the end of his life in 1928 he was renowned as an interpreter of China and the Chinese people to the West.Dr. Jinli He, Ph.D. is Assistant Professor, Modern Languages and Literatures, at Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas, USA. She received her Ph.D. from the Department of Chinese Language and Literature at Peking University, China.
- Author(s)Gu Hongming
- PublisherCN TImes, Incorporated
- Date of Publication31/07/2013
- GenreNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCN TImes, Incorporated
- Out-of-print date17/11/2016
- Width127 mm
- Height203 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.