All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWho formed and shaped the English language? David and Hilary Crystal take us on a journey through Britain to discover the people who gave our language its colour and character; Saxon invaders, medieval scholars, poets, reformers, dictionary writers. Part travelogue, part history, this beautifully illustrated book is full of unexpected delights.
- Author BiographyDavid Crystal is known throughout the world as a writer, editor, lecturer and broadcaster on language. He has published extensively on the history and development of English, including The Stories of English (2004), Evolving English (2010), Begat: The King James Bible and the English Language (2010), The Story of English in 100 Words (2011), and Spell It Out: The Singular Story of English Spelling (2012). Hilary Crystal trained as a speech therapist, worked for a while in clinical linguistic research, then became a sub-editor for the various volumes in the Cambridge and Penguin families of encyclopedias. She has designed several books, notably the anthologies of the poetry of John Bradburne edited by David.
- Author(s)David Crystal,Hilary Crystal
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication05/03/2015
- GenreTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Note160 Full Colour Photographs, Figures
- Weight848 g
- Width172 mm
- Height243 mm
- Spine19 mm
Best-selling in Language
Save on Language
- £21.55Trending at £25.53
- £26.01Trending at £32.19
- £18.45Trending at £19.99
- £15.63Trending at £22.97
- £18.30Trending at £18.57
- £14.59Trending at £16.02
- £27.59Trending at £30.93
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.