adidas is one of the biggest sports and leisurewear brands in the world. Founded in 1949 by Adolph (Adi) Dassler, whose brother started rival firm Puma, it has grown to be the brand of choice for everyone from Manchester United to Kanye West, England cricket to the New Zealand All Blacks.
The adidas brand is known by its famous three parallel stripes, which appear on all of its clothing and footwear. There are over 7,000 products in the current adidas UK range.
The adidas brand is divided into three main sub-brands:
- adidas Originals – which recreates the classic look of its famous street wear styles
- adidas Sports Performance – which includes its current range of sportswear, footwear and accessories for a huge range of sports
- adidas Sports Style – which includes their cutting edge styles from leading designers
There are also a number of brands within individual sports, such as:
- Training – Stella Sport, Standard 19 and Tech Fit
- Football – Ace, X, Messi
- Running – Ultra Boost, Energy Boost and Supernova
- Basketball – D.Rose, Crazylight Boost and NBA Collection
adidas is the official kit suppliers to all 30 NBA basketball franchises, and will be official supplier to the National Hockey League from 2017. adidas also supply kit to:
- Manchester United
- Real Madrid
- Bayern Munich
- England Cricket
- New Zealand All Blacks Rugby
- Germany, Spain, Argentina and Wales national football teams
adidas Celebrity Associations
As well as being a major sportswear brand, adidas is also a popular leisure wear label, and is often associated with major artists such as Rita Ora, Katy Perry and Pharrell Williams, along with rap stars such as Kanye West, Snoop Dogg and Run DMC. Both Pharrell Williams and Rita Ora have designed collections for adidas.