78 RPM Vinyl Records Are Still Holding Our Interest
Despite the prevalence of digital and streaming media, 78 vinyl records still draw passion and attention from music lovers. These classic and new collections of favourite tunes are easily available as used vinyl records listed on eBay, and you can begin or add to your collection in record time.Genres of used 78 RPM vinyl records
There are multiple genres of music that are represented on 78 RPM vinyl records. These are just a few of some of the genres of 78 vinyl records for sale on eBay:
- Blues: This style of music originated in the Deep South of the United States amongst the African-American slave communities. It has roots in African musical traditions, slave work songs, and spirituals. The blues are characterised by a call-and-response pattern and the use of specific chord elements, such as the "twelve-bar" blues.
- Country: Country music has its beginnings in the southern United States in the 1920s and was a blend of folk music and the blues. It is composed of simple ballads and dance tunes and is performed with string instruments like banjos, guitars, fiddles, and harmonicas.
- Folk: Folk music is both traditional folk music and the music that evolved during the mid 20th century as a revival. Traditional folk music comprises musical oral traditions, familiar tunes performed over a long period of time, and music from unknown composers. A newer form of folk music came into existence during the 1950s and 1960s and is sometimes called 'contemporary folk music'.
- Jazz: Jazz originated in New Orleans amongst the African-American communities between the 1890s and the 1920s. It has roots in blues and ragtime. It is characterised by call-and-response deliveries, polyrhythms, and improvisation. It is considered a uniquely American art form.
- Rap and hip-hop: The Bronx is the birthplace of hip-hop. It originated amongst the inner-city African-American and Latino communities during the 1970s. It consists of a stylised rhythmic musical composition that accompanies a rhyming speech that is chanted.
Phonograph records were first produced during the 19th century and are flat discs with analog sounds stored in spiral grooves on the disc. 78 records play at 78 revolutions per minute. 78 records were initially made with a shellac resin but were produced in polyvinyl beginning in the 1940s. In later years, all 78 records became known as "vinyl," regardless of their composition. By the 1980s, production of 78 vinyl records waned because of the advent of compact disc digital media but still remained on a small scale. During the early 21st century, 78 vinyl records made a comeback, and production in the UK and the US increased dramatically.Are 78 vinyl record covers collectible?
The accompanying album covers of 78 vinyl records are often worth as much or more than the actual record discs. 78 records and their covers that were released between the 1950s and 1980s are particularly collectible with often elaborate and iconic art images and artist likenesses. Country and Rock 78 vinyl records are the most common albums in demand.