Express Your Unique Style in 80's Clothing for Women
Fashion has a cyclic nature, and garments that were once trendy are bound to become obsolete… only to come back boasting renewed vigour. Whether you consider yourself a trend-setter whose taste is for 80's fashion, or you're planning a fancy dress outfit that channels the best of Bananarama, eBay has a range of 80's clothing for women to suit all budgets.What are the key features of 80's fashion?
The 80's were a time where the fashion norm called for a bit of dramatic flair. Be it power-dressing or punk, the decade saw an exuberant move towards bold outfits and eye-catching accessories. Common themes of the era included:
- Oversized, attention-grabbing jewellery.
- Wide shoulders.
- Underwear as outerwear.
- Neon colours and bright accessories.
If you want your costume to be instantly recognisable, consider one of the female icons of 80's music:
- Madonna: In a corset, tutu skirt, leggings, and religious iconography in the form of layered jewellery, the Material Girl will be instantly identifiable. Add fingerless gloves, a lace bow in your hair, and a zippered, leather jacket, and no one will be asking 'Who's That Girl?'
- Cyndi Lauper: With spray-on, multi-coloured hair, clashing prints, and leather accessories, you're ready for the karaoke classic 'Girl's Just Wanna Have Fun'.
- Cher: Make it skin tight and sequinned, or see-though, tasselled and beaded, and you will be able to Turn Back Time with ease.
Sometimes, you'll need an 80's vibe on a budget. Although eBay offer a wide range of affordable 80's clothing for women, you can save a little cash by building on something you already own. Consider dressing up as:
- Joan Collins: The grande dame of power-dressers, she led the way with shoulder pads and statement necklaces. Think Dynasty-style TV show glamour with big hair and bold make-up.
- Jane Fonda: Although athleisure kick-started in the 70's, by the 1980's fitness fashion had gathered speed with Ms Fonda at the helm. Wear pastel tights and legwarmers, choose a high-cut leotard, add a belt and a headband, and you'll be ready to Get Physical in style.
- Bananarama: This post-punk trio rocked rocked stripey t-shirts tucked into high-waisted jeans, thick white socks, and lace-up brogues, all topped off with a back-combed bouffant hairdo. Add a slash of red lippy and you'll Really Say Something at the party.
- Alex Owens: For those without much time, the lead character of Flashdance is perfect - all you need is an over-sized, grey sweatshirt and a pair of red heels.