Alfa Romeo Engines for the Handyman and Car-Lover
The luxury Italian car manufacturer Alfa Romeo has been around for over a century, producing both elegant cars for the consumer market and incredibly fast and powerful race cars that have done well in Grand Prix, Formula One, and rally racing, among other kinds of events. As such, its engines can be coveted and impressive feats of engineering. Car hobbyists looking to repair their Alfas or boost their performance can find an affordable Alfa Romeo engine for sale on eBay.Different types of Alfa Romeo engines
Here are the five basic types of Alfa Romeo car engines that you'll be able to find for sale on eBay:
- Afla Romeo JTS engine: This engine is made of aluminium alloy and can range in output from 1,859 cc to 3,195 cc. It's a four-valve DOHC engine with variable valve timing that can generate anywhere between 158 and 256 horsepower, depending on the version being used.
- Alfa Romeo Boxer engine: Like all boxer engines, this is an engine with horizontally opposed pistons. It happens to be a water-cooled four-piston engine made of aluminium alloy and cast iron and meant for use in front-wheel-drive cars. Its displacement can vary from 1,186 cc to 1,712 cc, and it can generate between 62 and 135 horsepower, depending on the version under consideration.
- Alfa Romeo Twin Cam engine: This is an aluminium allow inline-four engine whose displacement can vary from 896 cc to 2,056 cc. It's water-cooled, and the various versions of it can generate between 52 and 300 horsepower.
- Alfa Romeo Twin Spark engine: The successor of the Twin Cam and predecessor of the JTS, this engines various versions can generate between 102 and 153 horsepower and have displacements ranging from 1.370 cc to 1.995 cc.
- Alfa Romeo V6 engine: As one of the more powerful of Alfa Romeo's engines, it can generate between 130 and 247 horsepower and displaces between 1,996 and 3,179 cc.
The following engine models fit with the Alfa Romeo car models listed after them:
- JTS: The Alfa Romeo 159 and Alfa Romeo Brera from the years 2005 to 2010 are compatible with this engine, as is the Alfa Romeo Spider from the years 2006 to 2010.
- Boxer: Compatible models include the 33, 145, 146, Sprint and Alfasud.
- Twin Cam: Compatible models include the 75, 155, and 164.
- Twin Spark: Compatible models include the 145, 146, 147, 155, 156, 166, GT, GTV, and the Spider.
- V6: Virtually all Alfa Romeo V6 models are compatible with this engine, including the 164 V6 Turbo, the 166 Super V6, the SZ, RZ, and the Alfa Romeo Spider.
Before plunging into the eBay listings in search of the right Alfa Romeo engine for your needs, here are a few important things to keep in mind:
- Compatibility: Make sure that the engine you purchase is compatible with the year and model of the specific car into which you intend to install the engine. Check the manufacturer's site for full details.
- Mileage and age: Lower-mileage engines will generally be significantly less expensive than higher-mileage engines, since lower mileage engines will have less wear and tear on them and will therefore require less maintenance. Engines that have been built more recently will also generally be less expensive for much the same reason.
- Condition: Reconditioned Alfa Romeo engines will typically cost somewhat more than equivalent engines that have not been reconditioned, as reconditioned engines will be mode of newer parts.