Aquarium Driftwood and Root Decorations
Using driftwood and root decorations at the bottom of an aquarium or reptile tank can give the tank a natural appearance.
There are different types of decorations available - some decorations are more suitable for a reptile tank, while others are designed specifically for aquariums.
Ensure you choose carefully to find the most suitable decorations for your tank and your pet’s safety.
The benefits of driftwood and root decorations
- Decorations and driftwood can create a natural looking environment for your fish or reptile tank
- They create shelter so the fish or reptiles have somewhere to use for cover. This is important for the well-being of any animal
- Decorations can be used to hide filters to make the tank look more appealing
Types of driftwood and root decorations
Driftwood and roots are available in a number of materials to suit your preference:
- Ceramic - these decorations are heavier and tend to stay on the bottom of an aquarium. They are also long lasting
- Plastic - lightweight and can be shaped to appear flexible. Because they are so light they often come with a weight attached to keep them on the bottom of an aquarium
- Polyresin - can be made into intricate designs and is often used for statues. These can be placed in front of cables and filters to disguise them
- Stone - natural stone looks good and over time will discolour to blend in with the aquarium. It also suits a reptile tank and gives it a realistic look
- Wood - some woods can release tannin or be toxic when added to an aquarium, so care should be taken when choosing driftwood decorations. Wood can float in a tank until it is waterlogged enough to sink. Wood is also suitable for a decoration for a reptile tank as it is part of a reptile's natural environment