Selecting the Right Binoculars 10x42 for Your Needs
10x42 binoculars are full-size binoculars that are great for bird watching, spotting wildlife, and following sporting events. They are for general use and they are a handy gadget to take on camping holidays, outings, and boating trips. A wide selection of binoculars are available from eBay, from budget-friendly models all the way to a professional-level brand.What do the numbers 10x42 mean on binoculars?
Binoculars come in a variety of sizes and powers. The first number, 10x, is the magnification. It means that an image appears 10 times closer than it actually is making it easier to see. The second number, 42, is the diameter in millimetres of the objective lens. The wider lenses let in more light so the image is brighter which is especially useful in low-light conditions. 42-millimetre lenses are found on full-size binoculars. Mid and mini binoculars tend to have a smaller the lens.Why is there such a wide range of prices for binoculars 10x42?
There are a number of additional features that can be added to a pair of bird watching binoculars. The higher the spec, the more expensive the binoculars are to buy. Whether or not the features are needed by you depends on when and why you want to use your binoculars. Some of the features include:
- An anti-scratch coating that is applied to protect the lenses.
- Fog proofing to stop the binoculars fogging up when there is a dramatic change in the temperature.
- Water proofing to enable the binoculars to be used in the rain or in a marine environment.
- Shock proofing protects the binoculars from impact damage if dropped.
- A stabilising facility makes it easier to see objects that are further away without the image shaking.
- Accessories that come with the binoculars such as a storage case, neck strap, and cleaning kit.
The magnification range on general-use binoculars can vary from 6x to 12x. Although it would seem that a higher magnification would be superior, there are things to consider before choosing your binoculars. The greater the magnification, the harder it is to keep the image from shaking around as it is viewed. The lower magnification power will give a more stable image. 8x and 10x are considered to be the ideal power for bird watching or hunting binoculars.