Let There Be Light With The Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash
From amateurs to professionals, every photographer knows how annoying it is to have a perfectly framed shot ruined by poor lighting. Thankfully, the Canon Speedlite 580EX II comes to the rescue with a versatile flash which will take your low-light photography to a new level, and eBay has a wide selection for you to choose from.Why choose the Canon Speedlite 580EX II?
The flash has a powerful light capable of bouncing off more distant surfaces, resulting in a more uniform exposure. Meanwhile, the possibility to use the flash off-camera, wirelessly, and with an external power source, makes it very useful when you need your light source in different positions. It also features a 'stroboscopic' mode for multiple flashes within a single exposure, allowing a moving subject to be captured multiple times in the same shot, for a more ‘artistic’ photography. Last but not least, 14 different custom functions ensure you have the answer to any low-light shooting situation.What are the main characteristics?
The Speedlite 580EX II is packed with features. Some of the most prominent are:
- Strong build: The Speedlite has a metal foot ensuring a better rigidity than the plastic ones. It is also one of only few water and dust resistant flashes available, making it the ideal accessory to take with you in any weather condition.
- Recycling time: Approximately 0.1 to 6 seconds. It is also noticeably quiet without the whistle-like sound.
- Direction: The flash car rotate 180 degrees from left to right and 90 degrees upward.
- Auto Power-Off: It will switch off automatically after 90 seconds of inactivity. There is also a cut-off mechanism which kicks in when the flash becomes too hot.
- Flash modes: TTL/E-TTL/Auto
- Flash range: Approximately 0.5 to 30m at ISO 100.
The advantages of using an external flash like the Canon Speedlite 580EX II include:
- Better light: External flashes provide a better timing of the light, resulting in better exposure in any low-light situation.
- Direction: The swivel capabilities of the Speedlite 580EX II will allow you to direct the light anywhere you want for the desired effect.
- Source of light: An external flash prevents proximity issues as a built-in flash will always be very close to the lens, often resulting in a poor shot with an over-exposed subject against a dark background.