Carlton Ware Pottery: The Most Unique and Artsy Pottery Items Yet
Carlton Ware is a pottery company that makes novelty goods aimed at collectors, and also general buyers. Founded in 1890, the company has made and continues to produce hand-painted pottery in solid Art Deco styles, besides a solid range of china and earthenware. Check out Carlton Ware pottery offerings on eBay to add class to your space.
Carlton Ware pottery design language timeline
Carlton Ware’s earliest works comprise typical hand-painted and decal tableware in various patterns (mostly floral), along with items inspired by respected potters, such as Wedgwood.
- In the 1900s, Carlton Ware started to make “crested ware” aimed at tourists.
- During the 1920s, new production methods were introduced where hand-painting and decal works were used in conjunction with high-glaze substrates. Popular designs include stylized birds, dragons, and Oriental-inspired patterns.
- In 1929, the company introduced the 'oven to tableware' line.
- During the 1930s, Carlton Ware came up with a new tableware series that boldly embossed foliage and floral patterns.
By the 1970s, the pottery manufacturer introduced more modern patterns and shapes, owing to emerging trends. Focus then shifted to novelty goods and advertising ware.
Popular product categories of Carlton Ware pottery
The following are some of the most sought-after items:
- Blush Ware: A highly popular earthenware range of the company, the Blush Ware line comprises printed or freehand patterns with pastel-shaded backgrounds.
- Blue & White: These are earthenware with monochrome designs, such as flow blue and blue and white, with Blush Ware shapes and patterns.
- Best Ware: These are highly decorated wares that incorporate elaborate enamelled and printed patterns.
- Coloured Ware: Also called Novelty Ware, the Coloured Ware line comprises items that are executed with a dose of humour.
- Advertising Ware: These help companies advertise their products with specially modelled earthenware, such as water jugs, ashtrays, replica vintage cars, etc.
Other well-known product categories include Heraldic China, Salad Ware, Handcraft, Carlton China, Walking Ware, and Contemporary Ware.
What makes Carlton Ware pottery so unique and desirable?
Carlton Ware pottery items are handmade and highly decorative. They are made from the highest quality materials and also sport unique designs and colour combinations. Since they are hand-painted, you’ll not find two identical Carlton Ware items, even though they belong to the same product category or share their designs. All these aspects add up and make Carlton Ware’s products extremely popular.
Are Carlton Ware pottery items practical?
Though Carlton Ware first started making items only for collectors and tourists, the growing popularity of their offerings made them foray into housewares. Besides artsy and commemorative pieces, the pottery also makes mugs, cups and saucers, jugs, bowls, vases, pots, etc. These are not just meant to be showcased but can also be used on an everyday basis.